1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ever got new symptoms without the old ones leaving?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by zclesa, Jun 19, 2019.

1. zclesa

zclesa Well known member

Ok, I'm asking this because I'm curious about it, not being obsessive.

Today I got a totally new symptom while doing activity, but the old ones hadn't left. So it wasn't a substitute symptom, but an added symptom. One I've never had before actually.

I got really heavy-feeling legs today when walking. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it felt like my legs had more gravity pulling on them than usual. It was quite difficult to walk. But my usual symptoms of Vestibular Migraine hadn't gone. I still had major dizziness, a headache and brain fog.

Last night one of my eyes swelled up as well, which was also a totally new symptom, without the old ones leaving. When I woke up, the swelling had stopped.

I'm not worried about this in the slightest. I'm just interested as to if people have had this and where they might have experienced this in their journey.

I do know about the "symptom imperative", but from what I've read most people's symptoms shift to something else instead of being added to existing symptoms.

I have not overdone things. I'm neither pushing nor resting too much. So I'm just wondering what this is about? I do hope it's my brain thinking it can trick me out of doing things. Because it's totally not working. I have done what I wanted to today despite the new symptom.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

if there is one thing our brains are good at, it's finding ways to fool us. A common way is to create symptoms that you can't find duplicated in anyone else (lots of people get caught in that trap) and another is to pile on the weird new symptoms - which, as you've discovered, can come and go in no time at all, to the point where you have to start laughing at them.

I've had all of the vestibular symptoms that you have described, all of which are described in that article that I'm pretty sure I linked for you in another post (I linked to an old thread, but the first post has the link to the stored PDF of the article).

Mars497@, Baseball65 and zclesa like this.
  3. zclesa

zclesa Well known member

Thanks @JanAtheCPA It's really weird, but I do see the funny side of it. Ever since I read about TMS, my body decided to send my symptoms into overdrive. The week after I realised it was totally psychogenic, my left hand went numb. It still is a bit numb, 3 weeks later. I also had the longest-ever headache I've ever had in this whole 4-5 years of being ill. Even meds didn't ease it like they used to. That wasn't quite so fun, but it as eased up finally over the last couple of days after balancing out my activity and rest time.

Although I'm aware of symptom-shifting, I can't recall reading about people having more symptoms without the old ones receding. That might just be my brain fog though. Or maybe my brain is super-sharp to the fact the I won't be outsmarted by it and it's pulling out all the stops to convince me. Sorry, brain. Not gonna work with me. ;) It's so obvious what it's doing!

I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such ridiculous behaviour from their brain, or if this was unique to me. OK, there was part of me wondering about if this might be some kind of extinction burst as well. It doesn't really matter though. I will get better, however long it needs to take.

Thanks for your support Jan. Much appreciated.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yep.
    Virtually EVERY spiritual author I have read discusses this.... I wanna lose weight, start a diet and I gain 5 pounds. I wanna treat someone better and improve our relationship and we immediately get into a fight. I decide to be early to work and I am an hour late. Etc,etc.etc

Good time for the 'turn your attention to a recurrent source of irritation ' strategy. Thereby sending the message to your brain that you don't need it's help.
    It's like an annoying kid brother, but unlike the brother IT WILL eventually shut up!

zclesa likes this.
  5. zclesa

zclesa Well known member

Thanks @Baseball65. I am really starting to get this thanks to you and others' help. Very grateful especially for you and @JanAtheCPA, who have been super-helpful and supportive in my journey.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. NameK

NameK Well known member

Yep this is definitely the case for me.

Since finding about TMS I've had more symptoms come up over the last year or so my quick timeline is

2017 : dry eyes, calf tightness, foot pain.

2018 :lower back pain left side, chronic pelvic pain (pretty much gone) noticed neck tension, shoulders, tmj and tinnitus

That being said my lower back pain isnt constant anymore and when it does appear it's very briefly so that some progress.

I remember reading thread on here how they basically stopped caring about the pain and it significantly reduced the pain and in my case it got rid off my pelvic pain symptoms, and lower back pain.

Still have my dry eyes, tinnitus and calf tightness and while the only symptom that really bothers me atm is tinnitus.

I should also mention I saw my gp and multiple doctors and they all said I didnt need MRI's based on my pain levels and everything else checked out as far as I know.

Minus the fact i asked to see an ent for my tinnitus but again she didnt think I had any hearing loss and said it wasnt necessary.

JanAtheCPA and zclesa like this.
  7. zclesa

zclesa Well known member

@NameK Yeah it's weird how this happens, but I've accepted it now. I've had swollen eyes, numb hands, severe acne breakouts, dropfoot, insomnia.

My issues now tend to be "in rotation" a bit more, rather than constantly having new additional symptoms without the old ones leaving.

It's weird to see I originally posted this back in June when my journey of beating this was just starting. It feels like I've lived through two years rather than two months! It's been so hard, but I've made so much progress. Sounds like you're doing great too :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. Mars497@

Mars497@ Peer Supporter

@JanAtheCPA would you mind linking the article you mention? I tried searching but no luck yet.

9. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

10. Mars497@

Mars497@ Peer Supporter