1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Favorite Book

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Satori, Jan 11, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Satori

Satori New Member

I have read all of Sarno's books. I am just wondering what are some other favorite (most helpful) reads that any of you guys have read???? Thanks!

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I actually just finished reading Defying the Verdict by Tamara Gurin who is a member of the TMSwiki. She had CRPS and Dystonia, but I just substituted my own symptoms for hers while reading the book.
    I love that it is short, and keeps on repeating that her experience is similar to others in that recovery is a journey inward, but that the path you take to recovery is individual. This is something I have struggled with because a few of the books I have read suggest that their way is the ONLY way (now I realize it is to help keep things more simple for the reader. I recently learned that Sarno decided not to include some things in his book because too much information may not have been helpful for some clients). I also read a series of books by Mary Ruth Velicki the first entitled Healing Through Chronic Pain. Her books are similar to Tamara's in that she upholds that each persons journey is unique, and that instead of it being a solitary journey like that Sarno outlines, that some may need a team for support. It depends on you (and your mindset around having a team - the journey is still Y OURS the team does not fix you, you merely feel supported by them and perhaps learn some skills from them). Lastly I also love a book that is about an unrecognized TMS journey although Chronic Pain is recognized. It's called Winning The Injury Game - and has really great information on pain science and is a good book for the athletically minded. For me it helped me discover that my need for exercise had become the means try and control symptoms (for many many years) - and that I was actually afraid of movement. It was the realization of this fear of movement that led me to realizing TMS (P.S. the author now recognizes TMS, and has been taking courses on it). The book eventually helped me realize that I need to learn to move without fear (still working on it!).
    What all of these books helped me see is that my mind had become so constricted (just like my body) and they each presented different information to help me open my mind to the possibility of healing not being a straight jacket of only ONE single way to heal, that I was on the correct path for myself and that I will one day care less about the pain I experience and feel more of the emotions I have been missing out on!