1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. fear and emotions

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I've read "Healing Back Pain". I'm on day 3 of "Structured Educational Program". One of the things that resonated with me from the book was the part that encouraged you to be angry at the part of your mind that was repressing emotions. I've been saying to that part of my mind:

Don't you dare restrict my emotions!
    Don't you dare restrict blood flow from parts of my body!

My question is about the lump in my throat feeling I get immediately upon saying these phrases. From other books and conversations with others I've been specifically told that the lump in my throat is one my emotions and that I should direct my attention to it. I'm unclear whether this is good advice or not. If it is not my feelings (the lump in my throat), but just another one of my minds tricks to distract me from my real emotions. I'm ignoring all my other pains, but not sure if I should ignore the lump in my throat (consider it a distraction), or if I should be paying a lot of attention to the lump in my throat as that is the opposite of repressing my feelings. Thanks.

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Interesting question!

In my experience, a lump in the throat is usually a physical manifestation of sadness. This would make sense in the context of the work that you are doing because sadness often accompanies anger. Emotions are complex and frequently appear together or in a sequence. Maybe you are feeling sad because you are finally standing up for yourself in a meaningful way.

I would suggest exploring this physical sensation along with the other physical sensations that accompany emotions. Anger/rage often has a distinct physical sensation of heat originating in your core. Sadness often feels like a lump in your throat and heaviness of the stomach and eyes. Try to make friends with these sensations and explore them without fear. They may be a useful tool in getting in touch with both your emotions and your body.

Good luck!

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.