1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

[First post]IBS and back pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by determined_75, Jul 28, 2017.

1. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Hello all -

This is my first time posting on the TMSWiki, though I have been a lurker for a while. I have read Healing Back Pain, The MindBody Prescription, and some material from Dr. Schecter and Steve Ozanich. I want to immerse myself in the community for a bit of support :)

I haven't officially been diagnosed with TMS, but I can tell you that I know I have it. I match the personality, and have been diagnosed with IBS, disk herniation (and sciatica), stenosis, anxiety, and OCD. Another thing that convinced me I have TMS is that when I really started to read/learn about it, my symptoms shifted. I felt extreme lethargy/weakness for a couple of days.

I feel like my back (and sciatica) has gotten a bit better, though my IBS hasn't changed at all. My back only started bothering me a few years ago, while my IBS has been with me for over 20 years.

At times I find the amount of info and opinions on TMS overwhelming. I'm trying to keep it simple and stick with Sarno's teachings. For those out there that have had success, how would you simplify what has worked for you? If you were to focus on just a few points that Sarno stressed, what would they be? I'm aware of the 12 daily reminders, and admittedly need to spend a bit more time each day on this :)

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Lily Rose and Lunarlass66 like this.
  2. Lunarlass66

Lunarlass66 Well known member

It amazes me the commonality of diagnosises people on this forum have... Welcome Determined, I too have had or have all the conditions you mentioned... IBS, Stenosis, bulged discs, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, plantar fasciitis, (minimal) hip arthrosis, hamstring tendinopathy, anxiety, depression... Just to name a few.. This site offers warm, caring amd unwavering support... My pain isn't much better, but it helps your spirit to know that love is out there!:)

Lily Rose likes this.
  3. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Thank you, Lunar
    Thank you for your encouragement. We're all in this together :)

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

When you feel the pain, shift your thinking to the psychological--i.e., the emotional dynamics creating the TMS/psychosomatic pain symptom defense mechanism--relationship problems, work, money, etc., see the Holmes-Rahe List of Stressful Life Events that cause TMS.

5. Lunarlass66

I wanted to add to that while I was suffering with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, I went the traditional medicine route too, completely convinced it HAD TO be an ulcer or stomach cancer... Something ominous and horrible. As Tennis Tom mentions the list of stressful events? Well, I was too unenlightened at 28 to realize it was coming from enormous stress I was under.. Not working, best friend supporting me(guilt), my mom had just passed away and I was recovered from back surgery... I developed my first long term panic and anxiety at this time too... And I finally had to get professional help to learn how to manage it...
    And I could barely eat, constant heartburn, and using the bathroom so often, I lost 12 pounds. Constant cramps, pain and intolerance for most foods. I had a cat scan, lab work looking for H-Pylori bacteria, the one responsible for ulcer development.... All tests normal... In retrospect, I know I've had some degree of Mindbody Syndrome all my life. Only now, it's become much more challenging in that age and possibly pain from age is being overlapped by my stress and TMS... fun stuff!
    I apologize for the long-winded reply, but the point I wanted to emphasize is that IBS IS TMS, and it goes away, I went over 20 years with a healthy, happy digestive tract.. When life was good. That's compelling evidence! Now if ONLY my leg and back pain and rashes were turning out to be TMS too!I'm just not as sure this time. :(

6. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Wow, I also had a cat scan and testing for H-Pylori. In addition I had an X-ray, upper-GI test, lower-gi test, endoscopy, tried all sorts of meds, therapy, etc. All to no avail...I KNOW without a doubt it's TMS. Shaking it is proving to be challenging, but I'm going to stick with it.

I think soon I'd like to speak with a TMS professional, whether it be a doctor or therapist. I think speaking with somebody about this syndrome could get me a bit further in my journey.

Did you get a work-up done for your leg/back/rashes? It might at least give you a bit more confidence about it being TMS.

7. Lunarlass66

:(Wow, I also had a cat scan and testing for H-Pylori. In addition I had an X-ray, upper-GI test, lower-gi test, endoscopy, tried all sorts of meds, therapy, etc. All to no avail...I KNOW without a doubt it's TMS. Shaking it is proving to be challenging, but I'm going to stick with it.

I think soon I'd like to speak with a TMS professional, whether it be a doctor or therapist. I think speaking with somebody about this syndrome could get me a bit further in my journey.

Did you get a work-up done for your leg/back/rashes? It might at least give you a bit more confidence about it being TMS.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I have. Numerous lab work ups, xrays, two MRIs and multiple doctor exams... Conflicting opinions and nothing definitive. I have all the "normal degenerative changes" in my spine and "minimal" arthrosis in my hip.. No doctor seems overly concerned, but I have PAIN.
    Going through all that backfired for me because Instead instead of giving me a more clear cut diagnosis, it's only added to the mystery of my symptoms... :(

8. Jules

Jules Well known member

I'm not completely cured, but I do four things:

• Assess the stress or triggers
    • Tie the emotion or experience to it
    • Tell my brain I'm not in any danger and it can relax
    • Move on with life.
    These four steps have gotten me out of 90% of chronic pain of 20-years and allowed me to sustain a full-time job at a computer all day, even after having "carpal tunnel," "frozen shoulder" yada, yada.

Hope that helps.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  9. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Telling my brain I'm not in danger is something I've been working on :) Thanks

10. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Thanks Tennis Tom. This list is insightful.

Tennis Tom likes this.