1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Flare up after seeing physioterapist

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by lina82, Jan 4, 2018.

1. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

I'm basically in pain all the time, but not always in very severe pain. I haven't been in touch with medical experts about my pain for at least a year. This Tuesday I had an appointment with a physioterapist. I was there to get started with some training and because I wanted a second (or more like 12th :D ) opinion. She looked at my joints and did som tests to see if my joints are hypermobile / too loose, which they are. I have earlier got the diagnosis Hypermobility Syndrome / Ehler Danlos Syndrome III .

After this I got a massive flare up with more pain than in a long time, very unbearable. I was also very scared about my future, since the diagnosis Hypermobility Syndrome is a quite hopeless one and I don't even have any pain medication that works, at all. I had a lot of catastrophy thoughts about how my life will turn out with this diagnosis, these pains and with the situation that I am in now - that I cant do almost any exercise (not even walking) without getting more pain.

Now, 2 days after the appointment, I finally get out of my "fright bubble" and I can understand with one part of myself that the flare up was probably caused by my panic and dark thoughts. But I still feel that the diagnosis I have been given, that my joints are too loose and make the whole body's muscles work like crazy all the time = pain, could be right. I really want to believe fully in TMS in my own case.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there any way to "catch" the fear before it takes over completely and makes the whole mindbody go into panic and alarm? I'm thankful for any input.

I hope you understand my english, greetings from Finland :)

Balsa11 likes this.
  2. gutter3

gutter3 Peer Supporter

That's happened to me. I stopped going to drs and therapists bc they didn't help. And when I did I'd get so fearful and anxiety my pain would get worse. You have to stop believing there is something wrong w you. You can't believe in the diagnosis. If you believe in the diagnosis then it has a power over you, keeps you fearful. Have you tried any of the programs on this site? I went through
    It really put things into perspective. I also read the Sarno books and I am finishing the Great Pain Deception. Reading these books help you understand TMS and how to over come it. The program helped me a lot to over come my fear. That's one of the hardest things you can do (in my opinion).

Balsa11 likes this.
  3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lina,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the PT! I totally get this, as most PTs don't know about TMS and could trigger a mindbody pain response since they are prone to pathologizing so many normal conditions. EDS is indeed a real diagnosis that causes loose tissue, however, pain from lax joints alone is considered to be TMS. The way I think of EDS is that it can potentially make you more prone to dislocations or small injuries but the condition by itself does not cause chronic pain. It's understandable that you've gotten so much TMS and fear/anxiety as it's tough to accept a diagnosis! But know that people on these forums have gotten rid of TMS pain even with an EDS diagnosis. Rest assured that your body is healthy, even though your joints are hyper mobile there is nothing "wrong" with you and you are not acutely injured. Have you looked at Alan Gordon's TMS program on here? It's a great resource!

Balsa11 likes this.
  4. ladyofthelake

ladyofthelake Peer Supporter

I had a similar, but less dramatic thing happen recently. Almost all the pain has been gone for the last year. (I REALLY need to write that success story!).
    My friend's wife is a massage therapist and she gave me a gift cert for a free massage so I went and it was really nice except my previously pain area was very sensitive to touch. It clearly is actually an area of weakness/tension.
    My brain was apparently THRILLED to have a physical ailment to focus on and I had a minor return of my TMS pain. The massage didn't cause it directly, I think thinking about a physical ailment caused a little TMS to return.
    It's gone now. But be warned!

Balsa11 likes this.