1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Focusing away from sensations

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jamejamesjames1, Aug 8, 2020.

1. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

Here is another overly analytical question that I think might help to reduce my fear.

Some folks say to shift off the pain, don't let it bother you so much, etc.

Lots of folks also say the pain is there on purpose, it's a distraction, you need to figure something out, etc.

My interpretation of that ends up scari g me as I'm afraid to pivot off the symptoms because I'm afraid that if I do the brain will just simply send something WORSE at me. So I focus n obsess over the pain in a way to let my brain know that I got it's message, it does not have to make it worse.

Yet when I do shift off the pain it often gets better.. so I think I can proceed down that road more...but if that's the case, it begs the question if whether the mind is really doing it in purpose or not and the whole t s theory sort of falls apart in my mind and the more simple explanation would be...too much stress for too long

Am I off base?

2. Grimbo

Grimbo Newcomer

Hi, sorry to hear you have pain sensations. I don't think initially it's important to work out the exact reason for your physical sensations. One just needs to accept that the sensations are from unconscious emotions, mainly rage/anger. As you start to rewire your brain your sensations may move or change - that's part of the process.
    When it gets worse it's usually a good sign in my opinion, albeit painful.