1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Fragmented sleep - rapid recovery

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jackmat, May 18, 2021.

1. jackmat

jackmat New Member

I’d been suffering fragmented sleep for a couple of months and couldn’t see an end to it. I would go to sleep and suddenly wake up after only two hours. This was usually accompanied by an urge to urinate. Why was I waking up after two hours when I was previously a good sleeper for at least six hours?

I’ve addressed some of my TMS problems in the past with non-TMS solutions. I’m not entirely sure what category this falls in.

Before the fragmented sleep began, I was having naps in the afternoon. Each time my wife would wake me, I would ask her “How long have I been asleep - one or two hours?” She would answer 5 or 10 minutes. What??! I’d be in shock and check the clock to confirm it. This happened constantly and I felt that I could no longer trust my perception of time.

There had been a disruption to my body-clock and I had to find a way to fix it.

I began counting one minute on a clock. I said to myself “That’s a minute and that’s what a minute feels like. I did another one minute’ count a short while later and recited the same thing.

As I went to bed, I told myself “I don’t want to sleep for 120 minutes (i.e. 2 hours); I want to sleep for 300 minutes.

I woke up 2 ½ hours later! I was pleased that I had progressed beyond 2 hours. The following night, I went through the same routine and I again woke up after about 2 ½ hours.

On the third night, I counted 5 minutes on the clock and said to my brain that this is what five minutes feels like. As I went to bed I told myself “I don’t want to sleep for 30 blocks of 5 minutes (i.e. 2½ hours); I want to sleep for 40 blocks of 5 minutes”. This time I slept for 3½ hours.

The progression continued with the more recent bed-time thoughts being “I want to sleep for 80 blocks of 5 minutes, or when the sun shines through the blinds”

Everything is back to normal. If the urge to urinate ever presents itself, I repeat at least twice “Now is not the time wake up; morning is the time to wake up” and unless the bladder’s full, the urge disappears quickly.

I found hot chocolate milk very disruptive to my sleep and yoghurt very beneficial. Beginning my sleep on the left side also appeared to be helpful. I am posting this thread on both TMS websites.

Cheers,
    Gary (aka Jackmat)

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    TrustIt, TG957 and HattieNC like this.
  2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Awesome post. Thank you so much for sharing. This really is a case of mind over body.

3. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

I'm a pretty light sleeper and I get this a lot when I'm traveling, especially on planes. Being a light sleeper isn't really something to worry about, just means that your sleep schedule gets interrupted easier.

TrustIt likes this.
  4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for this post Gary. It is remarkable how you did this so methodically and with confidence. Great example for all of us.