1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Fridge door TMS reminder..

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Gigalos, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

All this time I have been longing for analogies of the TMS mechanism. I posted this question some time ago, but didn't exactly find what I was looking for. I would like to have something I can use to explain to myself or others what is happening in TMS and what can act as a quick reminder to put on the fridge door. I had ideas but I never got one that came close.
    For example, a kettle that is standing on a furnace. The kettle is your stressed mind, the fire is fear and anger and the steam that is coming out burns you whenever you come too close to shut the gas off. You see, kind of nearing the TMS mechanism, but not quite. :)
    Has anyone here a good analogy to share? Preferably in the form of a drawing. A diagram could also do the job provided that it is really, really simple. Also a story could do the trick, like Eckhart Tolle's beautiful booklet about pets living in the 'now'. Please post your ideas...

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'll have to think about an analogy. I like the refrigerator door.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is the best analogy I know other than "Happiness is what heals". Good luck Gigalos, a great thread.

North Star likes this.
  4. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

The proverbial "cup runneth over." (Cup of unconscious emotions)
    The lava that runneth over is what oozes out and touches on your muscles/nerves/tendons and causes physical pain. (Which we understand as oxygen deprivation)
    Empty out some or all of the lava in the cup and cool it down and the pain goes away. (Embrace TMS, identify emotions, find inner peace = no pain)

5. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Tigerlilly, that's exactly the sort of thing I am looking for... Eric, that video gives a great diagram, but I am actually looking for something even simpler. Something that by looking at it or even thinking about it for only a second makes you instantly remember what it is all about.
    Please keep posting your ideas...

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Good question, I've always used the same analogy as tiger, the cup runneth over, but it's also the masks of agony and ecstasy: with the agony mask "lying" underneath the smile.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Agony and ecstasy... such incredible words separately and even more when together.

I prefer to focus more on the ecstasy.