1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Laughter Funny films . Books

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by mike2014, Jul 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

Whilst I am confined to my room, reading all things TMS, its nice to have some form of distraction. I was wondering if anyone would be able post their favourite comedy films, books and stand up routines.

I would appreciate any input and my apologies if someone has already done a similar thread.

Thanks

Mike

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mike. I can recommend some of my favorites.

Any book by James Thurber but especially MY LIFE AND HARD TIMES.

My favorite movie comedies are:
    THE LADY EVE with Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda, a very funny romantic comedy.
    THE PALM BEACH STORY with Claudette Colbert and Joel McCrea, same genre.
    SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS with Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake about the value of comedy.
    THE COURT JESTER with Danny Kaye

I don't find much humor in stand-up comedy, just put-downs.
    I like old tv shows such as MASH, The Honeymooners, Carol Burnett, Sid Caesar.

All of the above can be rented on DVD from Netflix.

They'll lighten your days in bed.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

MY favorite movie comedians were Laurel and Hardy,
    but I find myself laughing also at the Three Stooges.
    My favorite Stooges comey is MALICE IN THE PALACE.
    The restaurant routine is hilarious.

4. mike2014

Thanks Walt, I will delve into Netflix. I used to love Mash aswell, what a great show, as was Taxi and Cheers.

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Mike,

Nothing makes me laugh out loud like listening to David Sedaris. He has written a lot of books, but I like the audio versions best because of the sound of his voice. Fortunately, he can be heard for free on line because he is a frequent guest on the podcast, This American Life. Sedaris is an American, but has lived in Europe for awhile, so many of his stories are about Europe and not just the US, despite the name of the podcast.

http://iluvpodcasts.wordpress.com/2...avid-sedaris-stories-from-this-american-life/

The link above includes some of his best, but if you enjoy him, I suggest listening to one of his audio books--the earlier ones are best.

Ellen

6. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

Hi Mike:

My favorite SNL skits are Shweaty Balls or Schweddy Balls, with Alec Baldwin and Cowbell with Will Ferrell. This year my favorite movie I watched is Father's Day with Robin Williams and Billy Crystal, a classic comedy combination. Robin plays a hypercondriac (he could benefit from Hope and Help for your Nerves). The airplane scene is my favorite, he gets on an airplane with Billy Crystal, the waitress pours him a drink and he is shaking so much he can barley drink it (it's more funny to watch than my description.) Anyway, have fun and enjoy!

7. mike2014

Thanks Ellen and Peggy, I will be sure to add them to my list. Billy Crystal is one of my favourite stand up and film stars, he is very quick witted and sharp and doesn't use vulgarity to get a laugh.

8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I loved Taxi and Cheers! I'm a big fan of 30 Rock, Community and Better off Ted, as well. My girlfriend and I crack up watching Archer, but its humor is very edgy and "un-PC." I guess that's what makes it funny. I remember loving A Fish Called Wanda when it came out. I listen to Bossypants by Tina Fey sometimes before bed and it's very light and relaxing. I'll have to check out Sedaris as well. Memoirs like that can be nice.

I think that's my ideal. Just something light to relax with after a long day.

I'm a fan of This American Life, too, @Ellen .

9. mike2014

Thanks Forest, 30 Rock is a great show. I have just re-visited Coach, was is a sitcom based around an American football team. Very funny indeed.

Thanks everyone for such great suggestions, I appreciate it and will definitely be exploring.

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Alec Baldwin kissing a dog on SNL was very funny. I'll see if it's on YouTube.

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I couldn't find the dog kissing on YouTube but watched sweddy balls and it was a hoot.

Peggy likes this.
  12. mike2014

Hey,

Does anyone watch Curb Your Enthusiasm starring Larry David? It's hilarious and his character (supposedly based on himself), could definitely be someone who suffers from TMS.

If you get a chance please check out the show, he also wrote Seinfeld.

13. Forest

Absolutely. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had TMS.

14. mike2014

No way, I just searched for Larry David on the wiki and it states Larry David was a Dr Sarno patient... incredible. Wish I could find more details within the thread thou.

15. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I thought I saw Larry David's name come up in one of Caroline Rumur's posts about the Galinsky film. I love Curb Your Enthusiasm. Did you see Larry David in the Woody Allen film, Whatever Works? I think that's the film is called anyway. Also very funny.

16. mike2014

17. Forest

I've seen footage :) @Caroline Rumur , perhaps you can give us some more info?

(By the way, when you type an @-sign and someone's username, like I did above, they get a little alert the next time they log in. It's super easy because once you've typed a couple letters of their name, a menu pops up to help you remember the rest. Clever software!)

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Forest, that's good to know. What a smart site you and Becca have made!

19. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

I loved an old Chevy Chase and Goldy Hawn comedy called Foul Play. Probably saw it ten times over the years. Harold and Maude was also a really funny oldie. Animal House was good, too. And A Fish Called Wanda for sure, Forest. More recently, I enjoyed the Coen brothers (total flop!) The Gambit. One bff has seen it 3 times and says she hears new, hilarious lines with every repetition yet only 28% of the audience (and even fewer critics) liked it.

20. mike2014

Hi All,

I know its not comedy, but I have recently started watching the Sopranos, I really enjoyed the way Tony and his psychiatrist worked through some of his Mind Body Disorders. It seems so many of the other characters suffered from TMS :) ... talk about a dysfunctional group :)