1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Getting out in extreme weather

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hawaii_five0, Jul 17, 2021.

1. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

I hope this is helpful to anyone. Two months ago I posted that I had been out for a walk (my issue is low back/pelvis pain without any obvious structural problem), and got caught in a pouring thunderstorm. I felt weirdly good and told myself if I had the opportunity I would do it again. So today we had a driving rainstorm/thunderstorm so I just went out and walked, no umbrella, no hat. Again, for the first time in months the walk felt good and normal and even exhilarating, I did not notice any pain or instability or any of what I normally notice during a walk. This was absolutely pouring rain, driving rain in buckets, thunder and lightning quite close. It just felt so good to not be "guarding" or "being careful", etc. It also just felt good to be out in the force of nature and even to see how things transformed, i.e. a normally dry stream bed transformed into a 4-foot wide raging stream in the course of 30 minutes.

Anyway, this ties back into the Wim Hof stuff of throwing yourself into the cold and some combination of distraction and powerful physical sensations overriding what you normally worry about, and more proof of the mind's power in how you feel. Also it feels good to get clean and dry after :)

rob89 and TG957 like this.
  2. rob89

rob89 New Member

Fantastic. There is something animalistic about getting out in ‘undesirable’ conditions. It’s like some switch goes off. The same with open water swimming and the cold therapy of it all.

hawaii_five0 and TG957 like this.
  3. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Oh, that Wim Hof!

I have done this a few time. Mainly in my backyard in pouring rain. Feels exciting and wonderful.

So what happened Hawaiia_Five0, your excitement to do it overrode your subconscious fears, increased blood flow, and you became absolutely pain-free.

That’s the key to full recovery:
    1. Create a massive amount of strong positives emotion to push back tension
    2. Keep moving forward in a steady manner to break the condition response.

In these three videos I explain the steps that anyone can do to speed up recovery.

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  4. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

@FredAmir: thanks a lot. I have found your videos to have great information and solid advice. I am trying to incorporate a lot of it into my life. Appreciate so much that you are trying to help people.

James

FredAmir likes this.
  5. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

I know dealing with TMS can be frustrating but keep those two principles in mind and keep practicing them daily for 3-4 weeks and you will be in a much better place.

Of course, walking in pouring rain can help too. Lol.

hawaii_five0 likes this.