1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Happy Friday everyone

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rob89, Jul 9, 2021.

1. rob89

rob89 New Member

Happy Friday everyone from a very sunny (for a change) UK. I wanted to share something that helped me today, having awoken to immense pain and discomfort.

I looked back and remembered stupid things I used to do in regards to the physical. And I spoke about one thing I’m greatfull for, that relates to my pursuit of beating this.

I was greatfull that I had a great support network on hand. I was also greatfull of the pain for a minute! Crazy ey? The pain means I’m alive and kicking. It means I’m able to experience what many others did not, or cannot.

One of ridiculous thing I used to? I think of one, often. It makes me laugh. It gives context to where I was versus where I am now. I used to use a full pack of Epsom salts everyday. I would have the bath SO hot, that I would have to take fans into the bathroom to avoid it becoming mega uncomfortable. The water would scorch. But Epsom salts and a hot bath will sort that ‘physical’ problem of tight muscles right out....not.

they were my two things today. I’m in pain, but I’ve got energy, I’ve got enthusiasm, I’ve got hope and the breaths are still being taken. These silly little things helped me a bit, tomorrow they may not. Then it’s time to adapt and push on even more. Hope everyone is having a good end to the week!

2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

And Happy Friday to you too, @rob89 -- and welcome to the forums! :) (I'm also in the sunny UK.)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Cap'n Spanky, Rinkey and FredAmir like this.
  3. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Fred here, in sunny California.

Great post Rob. Thanks for sharing.

you may find writing this and posting it where you see it every morning helpful:
    “What I focus on daily expands in my life. What am I focusing on right now?”

4. Rinkey

Rinkey Peer Supporter

Nice post Rob. And thanks Fred for the thought on the morning reading! Happy Friday all.

Cap'n Spanky, FredAmir and BloodMoon like this.
  5. rob89

rob89 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys :) only just seeing them as I was struck down with Covid last Saturday so took a little while to get better and leave all the online stuff alone.

hope everyone is well

6. FredAmir

OMG! How bad was it?

7. rob89

rob89 New Member

It hit me on Friday evening, which was immediately after my therapy session...coincidence I thought. I thought I was feeling a little run down emotionally. Saturday morning I felt like I’d been hit by a bus. Due to me scheduling a work meeting, in the office, on the Monday I had to get tested. Tested Saturday evening. Naturally my partner had to get tested too, and she also has it.

It hasn’t been too bad. Saturday and Sunday just the usual aches and pains you would expect. Since Sunday it’s been more of a fatigue issue. Luckily I have my weights and treadmill etc at home so since Monday I’ve still been active. Walking 5 miles each day to keep things ticking over. Breathing was impacted up until Wednesday.

I would say I’m now 90% recovered thankfully :)

FredAmir likes this.
  8. FredAmir

Fantastic. So glad it was a mild case.

I was telling my wife that the nature of the news is to sensationalize everything. When it comes to COVID all we see and hear is the worst cases not cases like yours.

This CDC study came out recently looking at 540,667 hospital admission from March 2020 -March 2021.

Those with no underlying condition were few and only 740 of them passed away. That is 0.9 percent.

However, if you have an underlying condition like hypertension or diabetes you risk of severe disease and death are much higher.

https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2021/21_0123.htm (Underlying Medical Conditions and Severe Illness Among 540,667 Adults Hospitalized With COVID-19, March 2020–March 2021)

Here’s a physician from UK giving his analysis of this report

BloodMoon likes this.
  9. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

@rob89: Thanks for your post, it sounds like you are keeping a great attitude. I seem to remember something in Alan Gordon's stuff about embracing the pain, finding the positive in it, recognizing that in TMS it is the body's way to try to help and protect you. I need to keep reminding myself of this. And as others have said many times, to try to lead a normal life as much as possible, not making concessions to it. Sounds like you are doing that - no more hot baths! (although I have come to learn that hot baths can be kind of nice, regardless of your condition).

And even keeping your fitness up while having Covid! Holy cow. It is a back problem? That is great you are walking 5 miles. Congrats on overcoming Covid.

We have sun where I am too, but it is the grinding unbearable humidity kind. As I recall, the summers in the UK can be beautiful. I worked for three years in Cambridgeshire a long time back, and I loved the summers, long summer evenings and pleasant temps. I came to really treasure your little island and the people, three very happy years.

cheers
    James

FredAmir likes this.
  10. rob89

rob89 New Member

Hi James, I definitely think embracing minimises it’s aim at times and helps. I just find there is a fine line with everything when it comes to TMS.

I’ve never had a back problem. My issues revolve around neck, shoulder, arms and hands to varying degrees. The exercise for me just keeps me going.

it’s very hot here today. In Manchester, we are used to the rain and clouds, any bit of a sun and you can’t keep people in . I’m more of a winter kind of person, but getting some sun is brilliant for body and mind.

Cambridgeshire is a lovely part of the county. My work, in recent times, has taken me there a number of times over the last couple of years; although Covid temporarily halted that. Very nice area though, with a lot of historical sites and things to do

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  11. FredAmir

Hey Rob,

just saw this interview with a doctor in South Africa on treating COVID patients and what to watch for seven days after onset of the symptoms.

BloodMoon likes this.