1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hard time explaining what im going through

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by fiddlegal, Dec 1, 2017.

1. fiddlegal

fiddlegal Newcomer

I feel good about this process and I am even feeling less pain. Mostly though I don't feel so weighed down by the words from surgeons, doctors, chiropractors, etc. I feel like I have hope again. That's a true relief. The part that I have found difficult is when friends, family, neighbors etc. ask about what I've been going through (surgery was on the table at one point) and I tell them about TMS and mind body approach... most of them look at me as if I'm in some kind of denial about my health. I explain to them as best that I can. I tell them that I'm swimming again (this is my favorite thing to do on earth) and they look at me unsure. I have started to just try to change the subject and not "go there". I want to share it with folks but it's hard. I also don't want to get caught in the negative trap either. I am working through this but wondering if other people have experienced this as well?

Aziz likes this.
  2. jml19

jml19 Peer Supporter

Oh yeah.....most people just look at me with that "deer-in-the-headlights" look. It's clear they aren't interested so I just think "Well, it's their loss". Even Dr. Sarno, in his books, admits that most people didn't come to him until they had exhausted all other avenues.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

Well, do what works for you and if anyone ask just tell them that you are doing therapy. Or just say that you do not like to talk about that subject. Most people will understand. I could care less about what anyone thinks as long as it work for me.

4. Aziz

Aziz Peer Supporter

Haha, I know that experience.

I do a mixture of things. I tell some people. Others I share with passion and excitement. And others I change the subject or keep it private.

I've also experimented with just blurting stuff out too. Like, "yeah, it turns out it was all generated from repressed emotions. Imagine that, huh?" Then just not say any more, and move on to the next thing. That one is fun when I let go of my nice guy tendencies and just tell it like it is.

fiddlegal likes this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Most people have been brainwashed into accepting the collective meme that "medical science" or "complementary-anti-medical science" has all the answers to our mindbody problems. This won't change perhaps--ever--because most people need their TMS symptoms as a psychological defense mechanism, PROTECTOR, as Dr. Sarno theorized--it's part of the human condition. Some people would like to truly "heal" from their chronic TMS symptoms and are open to new ideas in that regard. They keep searching for the answers and sometimes the search leads them to TMS and they have an ah-ha moment. Until there is a massive media front page exposure for TMS it will remain the KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN for the lucky few.

The short answer to tell people is, it's stress related--"stress" seems to be more commonly accepted lately due to the failures of most everything else available in the medical/pharmacal/complementary/PT/voo-doo realm, to stem the "epidemic" of chronic pain. If I really want to try to help someone who is crippled by their TMS pain, I'll give them a used copy of Sarno from Amazon that costs 1 cent + $3.99 S&H. So far I'd guesstimate that only one in ten bother to open it and a couple have bought into it--I don't get too worked up about it or proselytize about TMS much anymore--that would be too "goodist".

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    plum likes this.