1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone done both the SEP & used Dr Schubiner's 'Unlearn Your Pain' workbook?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by BloodMoon, Oct 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I was wondering if anyone has done both the TMS Wiki Structural Education Programme and used Dr Schubiner's 'Unlearn Your Pain' 28 day workbook? If so, I'd appreciate knowing whether they are very similar or approach things from a different angle and, if so, in what general/main ways they differ.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Jules

Jules Well known member

I did both and they are somewhat similar. The main difference I see is that the TMS Wiki is more informative, while Unlearn Your Pain is more engaging and has you dig deep into past issues. It helped me, but the TMS Wiki honestly helped more, because it was more of a step-by-step process. Unlearn got me started and helped me identify my different personality traits and such, like Divided/Mind did. I have probably read 20 books on the subject and done several protocols. Each one taught me something new about TMS and myself, so it’s worth pursing to see which ones (s) work the best for you.

BloodMoon and starseed like this.
  3. BloodMoon

Thank you @Jules. That's really helpful to me. I've now started the TMS Wiki and I'll then move on to the Unlearn Your Pain if necessary - that is, if my symptoms don't go away with the former. I too have been reading quite a number books on the subject (6 so far) and will keep going with that, as you're dead right, they all make you think about things from a different angle. Many thanks again for your advice.

Free of Fear and Jules like this.
  4. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

I did Alan's SEP and I also went to Michigan to see Dr. Schubiner and then completed his Unlearn Your Pain program on my own at home. I found these two programs to be similar in terms of explaining how fear drives the pain cycle and how we can change the neural pathways in the brain. Alan Gordon and Dr. Schubiner are colleagues and present workshops together so it makes sense that their explanations and approach overlap. Dr. Schubiner's website is very helpful to me and contains 9 different meditations (15-about 30 minutes each) ; I listen to these often and try to calm myself. Dr. Schubiner's program is fairly intense in terms of identifying some specific stressful past or present events that could contribute to pain and then areas in your life that you feel you need to change to be happier. I don't remember the SEP having meditations. I felt I needed more help after finishing SEP. I am still working my way through severe low back pain and hip pain. Even though I still have all of this pain (and fear), I have learned a lot from both programs, and I do see improvements emotionally in how I deal with my stressors. So that is a start. NEVER GIVE UP!!! I wish you the best in whatever approach you choose.

BloodMoon likes this.
  5. BloodMoon

Hi @Timbercat. Thank you so much for telling me of your experiences with the two different programmes. It's particularly helpful for me to now know that Dr Schubiner's involves meditations as - come what may - I have resolved to meditate every day from now on...So, even if the SEP were to get me pain free, I will also do the Schubiner programme with meditations.

Thank you too, for your encouragement. I too suffer with back pain and hip/pelvis pain (sacro-iliac area - the associated muscle spasms have skewed my pelvis and made it difficult to weight bear or walk for months on end many times over the years) - So, here's sending you all good wishes too for recovery...and thanks once again for your help; I appreciate it.