1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Derek S. Headaches, TMS, or something else

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by samuelrhys, Oct 3, 2015.

1. samuelrhys

samuelrhys Peer Supporter

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Headache tms or something else?

This is my story http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/help-advice-on-what-to-do.9456/

Well last Saturday I went out with some friends and drank a bit the next morning I woke up with blood all over my pillow and face from a nose bleed I had while sleeping, I do get random nose bleeds from time to time and if i hit my nose i can easily get a nose bleed. Sunday I had a hangover.

Monday during the day I went to work as normal and I felt fine then I went walking with a friend and the sunset was right infront of us and I remember saying oo that made me eyes feel a bit funny.

While in bed that evening I started to get a headache, It feels like there is a lot of pressure in my head which also feels heavy and tight, my eyes also can hurt if I quickly move my head. I've been to the doctors and they said they aren't worried about the nose bleed and the headaches seem to be a tension headache.

The other thing is about 3/4 weeks ago my hip pain had started again well about a week before this started I was pain free.

But this headache is 24/7 apart from when I am fast asleep, and I am getting anxious about it because I can normally deal with the pain but I can't do anything I want to do with this not even my job and its been 5 days now..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
  2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hey Samuel,

I read your story and your question and your symptoms really scream TMS. They have migrated so many times and seem to do a really good job of keeping you in a state of fear and preoccupation. I know that the symptoms are incredibly disruptive and wholly convincing, but in order to recover you must find certainty about your diagnosis and have confidence in your approach to healing.

You mention that the docs have ruled out any serious issues with the nosebleeds and the headaches. If you need to rule out any structural causes causing you doubt then do so. Once you have done your due diligence medically and have been cleared, then it is time to make that leap of faith that all TMS'ers must. Tell yourself that you have collected enough evidence and fully commit yourself to healing with a mind-body approach.

This means standing up to the fear and taking an empowered stance with your symptoms. Stop problem solving the symptoms and practice creating safety and outcome independence. I know that the symptoms can be scary but be assertive with them when they come up and tell your primitive brain that you're safe and there's nothing structurally wrong with you.

This process takes strength, patience, and determination. You can do this.

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sam. Derek;s advice is excellent, and just tell yourself you can do it.
    I have a mantra that always works for me: "I can do anything I set my mind to do."

I like watching Youtube videos by Michael Sealey and Thomas Hall.
    They're very relaxing and confidence-building.
    I love Youtube. It's like having a free TMS theapist on hand all the time.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sam, this is great advice from Derek, and I think you have your answer. Your biggest enemy right now is fear - and fear is joined at the hip with anxiety, and anxiety is a TMS equivalent - along with pain, it's designed to keep you on edge and on the alert, instead of experiencing your emotions. This is because your brain is convinced that if you're too busy being emotional, the sabre-tooth tiger will get you.

The thing is, this just isn't true in today's world. I have told my brain that many times since starting this work. It's the same message that Derek recommends: I am perfectly safe, and it's okay for me to relax and calm down, and take care of my emotional needs.

5. Serendipity

Serendipity Newcomer

So if anxiety is a TMS equivalent then does that mean that wehn the anxiety calms the pain can flare? I have started to notice this with myself. I seem to have anxious, emotional episodes and my chronic pain seems to subside, then when I manage to get out of them (They usually last a day or two) then I have bad pain epsodes it seems. Is this normal?

Sorry Sam, I'm not trying to hijack your post.