1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hip Arthritis or TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by chopper72, Oct 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chopper72

chopper72 New Member

I am a longstanding TMS sufferer and have beaten back, neck, shoulder pain and dizziness. Now I have hip pain.

Pro TMS argument
    1. I am an expert at shifting anxiety and depression into somatic complaints
    2. The pain varies considerably from almost none to severe
    Anti-TMS argument
    1. MRI shows plenty of degeneration. Doc said he has replaced many hips that looked better on an MRI.
    2. Does not get better with hard exercise. That is the reverse of all my other TMS pain. Pain goes away with total rest and NSAIds.

I am really stumped about this. Any ideas?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Well if it is TMS it sure is doing its job. You haven't mentioned one thing about changes and stress in your life. If you are totally focused on the physical it will always get worse or just stay painful.

Doctors replace hips. That is their job. My Drummer/work partner just had a 'successful' back surgery... Now his knee is killing him.... Oh yeah, his partner left him, he is angry about politics ALWAYS and is constantly in a state of low rage with occasional outbursts.

No one else can tell you what is going on in your life. Degeneration = nature... so is arthritic build-up and atrophy... but pain isn't universal

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. chopper72

chopper72 New Member

Nothing new is going on in my life. At my best I am just a foot above the line of depression. I have been that way since 15 with occasional dips below the line. Sometimes when I dip below the line it shows up as a physical problem but it is not situational. When I rid myself of the TMS, it is replaced with depression, but then I can deal with the real culprit. I am pretty sure this is not TMS. It doesn't behave like TMS but I am still left wondering how to truly distinguish between a purely physical problem and TMS. I am also wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with advanced arthritis in the hip, realized it is TMS, and beat it.