1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Hope this posted in the right place - day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ms Tick, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Ms Tick

Ms Tick Newcomer

Hello, glad to have found this..I started having mild pain & numbness in my little finger & a feeling of having my crazy bone constantly hit on the left side, about 6 months ago. I had just completed 2 weeks of daily therapy for lymphedema in my left arm. Last spring, 10 years after breast cancer treatment, I developed lymphedema - a swelling, usually in arms or legs, due to compromised lymph nodes. I had 11 nodes removed from under my arm - leaving my left arm vulnerable.

I saw my pcp, an orthopedic surgeon & a neurologist, had an ekg ( nerve conduction test ) & found that there was nothing structurally wrong. They all felt that the swelling was causing it & that eliminating the swelling would eliminate the pain. So I went for more therapy - 2x/week, 6 weeks.

During this time my pain worsened & I started having pain in my upper left back & my thumb became numb & my wrist became very swollen. The pain jumped around - sometimes in the shoulder/ back, sometimes in the arm, sometimes in the hand. By late January it was pretty much merged & often extremely painful. I was prescribed gabapentin for the pain - currently take 400 mg/ day.

I stumbled upon the work of Dr sarno, found it fit much of my problem, read "the divided mind", decided to give this a try. I believe some of my pain, the lymphedema, is structural, but that the bigger degree of pain may be tms.

Idearealist and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to Day 1 of the SEP, @Ms Tick! And yes, this is the SEP subforum, although I always just go to the "recent threads" link, so I often don't notice where posts actually reside.

I certainly feel like you're in the right place and program - I'm glad you found us. I can only barely imagine the personal resources required to recover from cancer and cancer treatment. Even though I have no experience with this, I firmly believe that a mindbody approach can only enhance your greater healing and recovery now that the physical threat has been taken care of by traditional treatment. I hope you will be excited by the opportunities this work presents. Keep it up, and keep posting!

~Jan