1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How do I break my obsession with TMS symptoms

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Forest, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

One of the biggest problems with having chronic pain is that it completely consumes our attention. When we are symptomatic all we think about is how much we hurt. During the brief times we do not have pain, all we think about is when will it come again. These thoughts, of course, only distract us and feed our TMS. I was combing through the wiki today and found this terrific Q&A with an Expert question that addresses this issue. It is answered by TMS therapist, Barbara Kline.

the question is "I find myself obsessed with my symptoms sometimes. How do I break that obsession?"

Barbara Kline is a licensed, certified, clinical social worker (LCSW-C) in the state of Maryland. She has a keen interest in mind/body medicine and specializes in working with clients suffering from chronic (non-cancerous) pain syndromes including back, neck, & shoulder pain; fibromyalgia, and other musculoskeletal disorders. She says "Having had a severe case of TMS myself, I'm pretty much an expert as I researched everything possible on the subject and was cured using Dr. Sarno's method. I also have had extensive coursework in the psychology of TMS.

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Ah, obsession! I had so many TMS symptoms when I first read Mindbody Prescription...headaches, TMJ disorder, various foot & leg problems, eye lid twitching/tic...most of them went away pretty quickly except headaches. Headaches have remained the one symptom that scares me and that I am likely to obsess about. I realized that for me this is because I grew up seeing my dad have really debilitating headaches. He was always driven, perfectionist, invincible (to me) but he would have these headaches that would completely knock him down, so it my mind headaches become THE symptom to fear. So in addition to breaking the pattern of obsession, I have had to look at WHY I am obsessing about this particular symptom, and knowing why has been helping to diminish the fear...and then the obsession is less too.

3. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

This is so true. I could definitely use some help with getting rid of the obsession over the symptoms. I think most people who feel pain on a daily basis can relate to it consuming your attention all the time and amplifying the pain you feel.