1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Derek S. How do I deal with the pain?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by jwang138, May 1, 2016.

1. jwang138

jwang138 Newcomer

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I was injured two and half months ago. I used to believe the cause was definitely the deadlift workouts that day. Mostly hip pain then developed to radiate the whole right leg and ankle. I had a MRI a month later which indicated herniated disc L4/L5 and received several physical therapy session with no help.

I started to read the book Healing Back Pain. TMS seems to fit my shoes nicely. As I began to log the evidence sheet (thanks to TMSWIKI's program), I gradually build more faith on the injury is from physiology. Especially today I found my doggy poo in my kitchen, I was outrageously angry about it but I had to suppress the emotion because I can't beat my doggy. The pain strikes me in a snap after that.

I'm mostly free of restrictions since I've resumed most activities and gym workouts one month ago. The only problem I'm having now is, I can't run for more than 4 minutes or sometimes can't walk for more than 20 minutes. Pain, tangling, numbness and weakness all come together if I do run longer. I try to suppress and ignore the feeling and tell me it's all from my mind. But mostly it doesn't help at all. I wonder, should I continue to run with pain and great determinations? Or switch to other activities ( I did several different cardio like stationary bike, they all won't trigger the symptom).

Thanks for taking time reading and answering!

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question, jwang138.

I am personally not a proponent of the "push through the pain" strategy. I don't think that is a very nice way to treat oneself. While it eventually may important for you to challenge the pain while running, for now I would suggest that you build up your strength and confidence doing exercises that don't cause so much pain.

Try to practice outcome independence while doing exercises that only trigger minor symptoms. Once you've mastered doing these activities without fear or trepidation, move on to jogging in intervals, increasing your time/distance each time. Challenge the symptoms gradually, making sure to tend to your anxiety and fear when the symptoms do arise. Be patient with yourself and you will get there in time.

Best of luck.

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.