1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop fearing new symptoms and issues

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by zeeman01, Jan 12, 2021.

1. zeeman01

zeeman01 Peer Supporter

Hey all, I seem to get caught in a bit of TMS loop. Every time I have a new health concern (skin issues now), I tend to look it up online and fear it will escalate to the worst possible case and then fear and worry takes over and the problem tends to get worse due to this. How can I break this cycle and mindset? Any tips would be great!

Balsa11 likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

The two tips that are easy to repeat from me are
    1) work on mindfulness practice. Observe, sense into your feelings, tolerate fear and anxiety with the fear and urge to do research. "Don't just do something. Sit there."
    2)find simple verbal ways to reassure yourself. Experiment with what soothes, finds a home in your body. "You're feeling afraid right now, and I think you'll be OK, again." Work this practice deeply to find what is believable, does not increase anxiety, feels like an inner presence, like your fear is being understood, and held.

TG957, Balsa11 and backhand like this.
  3. zeeman01

zeeman01 Peer Supporter

Thanks Andy for taking the time to reply.

4. richard13

richard13 Peer Supporter

Hey zeeman01, when I find myself drifting into "catastrophe mode" around personal or societal health issues I like to find a higher perspective with the help of some of the wiser folks who have already done this "living thing" quite eloquently. Your entry reminded me of this quote by Michel de Montaigne, still smile-worthy hundreds of years later: "My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.":happy: Wishing you well in gaining the insight and skills (such as Andy mentioned) to help with your own version of this "living thing".

zeeman01 likes this.