1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Howard Schubiner Interview with Dr Rangan Chattergee

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BruceMC, Mar 21, 2023.

1. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I thought this YouTube interview was especially interesting because of the way Dr Chattergee's own experience with TMS and back pain dovetailed so well into Howard Schubiner's TMS theories and practices with his own patients. Dr Schubiner was of course a student of Dr Sarno's who went on to further elaborate on Sarno's theories in such seminal books on TMS as Unlearn Your Pain. Of great interest of course how Dr Chattergee's real life experiences with his dying father and while caring for his aging mother highlight many aspects of what Dr Schubiner is talking about.

Well worth listening to to the very end. You get the feeling that Howard and Dr Chattergee both learned something from their dialogue. I for one certainly did. The enormous sense of release Dr Chattergee experiences when he watched his father's coffin going into the crematory is an amazing dramatic moment as the pain in his back finally released. Interesting too what Howard Schubiner has to say about mindfulness meditation in contrast to integrating emotions. Schubiner makes the point that in his clinical experience mindfulness meditation while calming pain patients did not heal pain in the same way that moments of emotional synthesis and release like Dr Chattergee experienced at his father's cremation or when he helped to lift up his mother while allowing himself to feel no pain.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I love Dr Chatergee! 2 hours is a commitment, to be sure, but you're getting 2 hours of Dr Schubiner for free! Plus (bonus) Dr Chatergee! What a dynamic combo:D

Not more than a few minutes in, Dr Schubiner is already imparting this gem: "I tell my patients that you can't understand pain unless you understand how the brain works".

That's golden. It's the inestimable wisdom of Dr Schu, carrying on and updating Dr Sarno's work well into the 21st century.

Also, thanks, @BruceMC for the great introduction. It made me want to check it out! But I have to put off listening to the whole thing ;)

Cheers,

~Jan

BruceMC likes this.