1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I always feel v. ill on days 3-5 of meditation retreats. Even if I was well before the retreat. WTF?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mcplums, Oct 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mcplums

mcplums New Member

Am I right in thinking, that feeling ill (my TMS symptoms have never been pain, more like nausea) on day 3 of meditation retreats, is CLASSIC TMS? The theory being, that without all the normal distractions of everyday life, the emotions/thoughts rise to the surface, and my lovely brain gets scared and creates a bunch of symptoms to distract me from them.

I've been on a few retreats in my time, but I went on one recently which was the first I'd been on where I had been free of TMS symptoms for many months previous- so I did not think I would get ill on day 3 this time- but I did. Exactly the same as previous retreats. Does this tell me, that there is still something going on in my subconscious? More work needs to be done?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi mcplums,

Yes, I think your theory makes sense:

It seems you're seeing a pattern, which is very helpful. Gentle inquiry into what might be arising benieth the surface is a good idea. I think it is less about "more work" and more about "what wants to be seen" if I can make that distinction. Your knowledge of the correlation, and knowing there is nothing physically wrong with you is important ---in itself!

Andy B

BloodMoon likes this.