1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Ibs question

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kitkatie124, Feb 26, 2016.

1. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

Sorry for all the questions I apologize. my Gastro doctor told me he thinks I am feeling things that aren't there. Is this a tms diagnosis or is he saying something is wrong with my nerves ? (I know there's nothing wrong with my nerves I'm just trying to figure out what he meant because he wanted me to try nerve medicine and anti spasmodics. I refused) Sometimes I don't understand their lingo.

2. sjcy

sjcy New Member

It sounds like he can't find any structural problem and is trying to find a medical solution for your pain (the nerve medicine and antispasmodics). If your pain was caused by muscle spasms or hyper-irritable nerves, those medications might help.

Susan

kitkatie124 likes this.
  3. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

What are exactly are you feeling that he claims are not really there?

4. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

I have pain in my pelvic area bladder/lower abdominal intestinal colon area but the colonoscopy is negative and my bladder scans and Gyno scans and infection tests are normal. I never had a laparoscopy but my symptoms are too all over the place for me to decide on a test that invasive. That's when I learned about Tms because the doctors told me I'm fine structurally. I get leg pains and aches when I have to use the bathroom. (My back mri was normal). I also have "fibro" all my tests are normal. But I'm confused about if it's tms when all my doctors say I'm feeling things that aren't there and I'm too hypersensitive. (Or if that's their way of giving me a tms diagnosis ).

5. sjcy

sjcy New Member

I think they are.

kitkatie124 likes this.
  6. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

I think in all likelihood they are suggesting you have somatic amplification...this is basically just a technical term for when you feel so in touch with your body that every normal or slightly heightened bodily sensation becomes overblown and far more noticeable to the individual...all the IBS literature indicates that this is undoubtedly an aspect of IBS.

I think somatic amplification is quite interesting within the concept of TMS and mind-body symptoms as it ties in with the idea of learned pain pathways and that once we mentally fixate on a sensation we often firstly fearfully turn this into a symptom and then literally a thought/perception trickle into a full blown 4 lane motorway.

As an aside I have pretty severe health anxiety and that goes hand in hand with SA.

7. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

Thanks so much for everyone's reply !