1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 20 If you could change one thing...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by DaleP, Feb 22, 2021.

1. DaleP

DaleP New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum although I'm now on Day 20 of the program. The question to ponder today is "if you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?"

Besides the obvious (no TMS!!! ) I think I really wish I was a more self-confident person who was able to not constantly be criticizing myself. My mother is very, very critical of everyone around her, and I think growing up in that environment led me to be really hard on myself.

I'm coming to realize that I constantly beat myself up without even realizing it - lots and lots of negative self-talk going on in my head! Even with this TMS healing journey...I still have a fair amount of pain and so I keep telling myself that I'm failing, everyone else can figure this out but me.

Now that I've joined the forum I'm hoping it will help me move forward on this journey to healing!!

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

That's great insight! We internalize the messages from our parents. Having a hyper critical mom can really do a number on a kid especially if you wanted to please and meet certain expectations. The belief that stems from this conditioning is that we are somehow fundamentally flawed. It sounds like your inner bully is still telling you lies and you need to talk back to that voice, and tell it to shut the hell up lol. The key is self compassion and being nicer to yourself.

DaleP likes this.
  3. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

I'd remove all desire to change the circumstances of my life and instead truly accept all that is.

Hedger likes this.