1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 6 Im afraid for everything

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by deny, Feb 18, 2021.

1. deny

deny Peer Supporter

• After you meditate take a few minutes a make a forum post on how it went. Did you have trouble meditating? Do you have any questions regarding how to do it? More importantly how did meditating make you feel?
    - I feelt stressed. I can't even take a deep breathe without panic. I didn't feel relaxed at all. Is that OK?

Question To Ponder
    Briefly take a few minutes and write down some of your fears. Why are you afraid of these things? (Use your own journal or print this page).

Im afraid of try new things, Im a afraid to learn things, because it my world it mean you much be good at it. Im afraid I can't get any children because of the pain. Afraid of lost my boyfriend, afraid to lost my mom. Im feeling fear to much of it.

2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Keep up the hard work on those SEP exercises and journal entries. The fear should become less scary the more you explore it. I used to be very scared of being a failure, but after letting those thoughts out and thinking about them for months, they are just a nagging voice that pops up sometimes now.

3. deny

deny Peer Supporter

Thank you! Any tips?

4. ssxl4000

Fear can be just as powerful as the pain. Which is why much of Dr. Sarno's work and the SEP program talk about banishing your fears. In my case, it really was an issue of acceptance of TMS. Once I fully believed that my symptoms were in fact TMS, the fear mostly disappeared. If you are not fully convinced your symptoms are TMS yet, continue the program, and I would also advise making a list of evidence that supports a TMS diagnosis. For example, if your symptoms come at odd times that do not make sense. For me, I used to have bad digestive issues after a moderate sized lunch, but I would feel fine after a much larger dinner (I was stressed after lunch but more relaxed in the evening). Keep adding to your list as you go through the program, and reread it when you have doubts.

5. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Make time for what you love, and make time to chill.

6. deny

deny Peer Supporter

Thank you for your help. My problem is that my pain is 24/7. Its horrid and I only read that if its TMS its jumping around? Can it still be TMS? And how do I turn down fear?

7. ssxl4000

My advice is to keep reading about TMS to help you believe in it. And if you have any lingering doubts, make sure you have seen all of the necessary doctors to rule out serious illness. If the doctors are telling you they can not find out what is wrong with you, that usually means it is TMS.

The symptoms generally jump around once you lose your fear of the initial symptom. If you have back pain and you start to believe it is TMS and you are no longer scared of it, your brain may move on to another part of your body to keep you distracted/scared. However, if your original symptom is strong enough to keep you scared and distracted all by itself, there is no need for that. The first 12 years of my TMS was all digestive issues. My brain did not need anything else at the time.

This is unique to everybody. I was fortunate to lose my fear quickly once I learned about TMS as I already believed there was nothing physically wrong with me. Other people take longer. It's hard not to be scared of pain. If the program helps you really believe the pain is TMS, then usually the "unmasking" of your pain seems to help. By that I mean once you realize the pain is NOT due to some disease that can not be cured, it may feel less scary to you. It's like when the monster finally appears in a movie. It's scarier when you don't know what it is.

Keep up the good work.

8. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

TMS doesn't always jump around, it can be consistent or not.

Have you read posts by Plum? Not only is she a beloved grand eagle, she has overcome some, or perhaps all, of your symptoms. She is a great example and comfort to me and others that have many different symptoms.
    Lizzy

9. deny

deny Peer Supporter

Thank you Lizzy. I Have read them. :)