1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Inspiration from Brandon Marshall . . .

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by SunnyinFL, Sep 23, 2015.

1. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

I didn't know whether to post this under "Support" (I could use it) or "General" (What's the purpose of TMS? How to turn our pain into purpose?), and ended up here in case some find it "Off Topic" - anyway, it's what's on my mind today.

Any football fans (American style, that is)? Well, I LOVE football and it's football season - and "my teams" are doing awful so far - and I'm not repressing any of those feelings . . . I'm really upset and I'm feeling it . . . so, if you want to support me, just "Like" this post out of sympathy for me please.

But, more to the point here - IF you love football - OR even if you don't - I saw an inspiring show on A Football Life featuring Brandon Marshall last night. It was so inspiring it had me bawling (again, please note, no repression, just letting it all out) . . .

IF you don't know who Brandon Marshall is, he is an INCREDIBLE receiver. Had little breaks in life, but talent and motivation and drive and determination and persistence have made him a NFL superstar. And he is just plain lovable as can be, he smiles, he cares about others . . .

But, even more to the point, he suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder, which reportedly causes him to "act out" and "rant" at times (i.e., when his coaches are calling bad plays (heaven forbid!)). Apparently, there is no effective medication for it; so, it seems that the treatment is similar to what we're all doing to recover from our symptoms - talking to your brain, reprogramming your brain, meditating, journaling, etc. to try to gain more control over regulating your symptoms. So, that's what he's done - he's worked really hard to recover, and he hasn't kept it a big secret - he talks about it - a lot - and has taken a lot of heat for that, too. But, he doesn't let that get him down. This is what he says:

Football is my platform, but MY PURPOSE is to increase awareness and help everyone suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder.

That's what I find inspiring . . . and he puts his money where his mouth is, too . . . .

So, now I'm doing a lot of noodling on my purpose . . . and the purpose of TMS . . . and thinking of rooting for the Jets for the rest of the season.

mike2014 likes this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank for sharing Sunny :)

I don't follow American football, but it's great that he's followed his heart in healing, despite any back lash he may receive from the general public. There will always be a divide in belief. Even if he can just change one persons life his purpose will be fulfilled.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    JanAtheCPA and SunnyinFL like this.