1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Alan G. Is my back fracture TMS?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    My name is Fionnuala. I am scheduled for bone fusion surgery on my lower spine next month. I have just read John Sarno's book and I believe that TMS is the cause of my pain, not a broken spine. I am on day four of writing, ignoring the pain, re-reading the book and I have ordered Sarno's other book. I have already resumed my full daily chores and swims,( I was bed ridden this time last week). I have not cancelled the surdery yet, which is breeding doubt. in my mind, and not doubt stunting my TMS recovery. I feel like Im at a cross roads. Do you have any advise? Any at all would be great!
    I am a 36 year old female

2. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    About a month ago, I began writing a book on how to recover from TMS. I was really into it. One day, I typed for about ten straight hours. I was lying down with the computer on my stomach. When I pushed to get up off the bed, I felt a sharp pain in my left wrist.

"Clearly this has to be TMS," I thought. I mean, I was literally in the middle of the RSI section when it happened. Maybe I was putting too much pressure on myself and this was my body's way of telling me to slow down.

I ignored the pain. I kept using my left hand. I laughed at it's feeble attempt to preoccupy me. Then I woke up the next morning with a swollen hand. "That's not good," I thought. I'd never seen TMS do that before.

I went to the doctor, he ordered an MRI, and I'd torn two ligaments.

Not everything is TMS.

You are not a doctor, Fionnuala. Do not make this determination on your own. If you do in fact have a recent fracture, this is a real injury. Injuries heal, but you need to take them seriously. I strongly encourage you to consult a physician knowledgeable about TMS. They are the ones most qualified to make the TMS/not TMS distinction. When you've been cleared, then you can go ahead and resume your normal activities.

You need to tailor the treatment to the correct diagnosis. Penicillin is great, but won't do anything for a viral infection. Reading Dr. Sarno's books, journaling, and ignoring the pain are fantastic interventions, but won't help if you have a broken bone.

Alan

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Fionnuala. Dr, Gordon has given you the best advice.
    Good luck finding a doctor who knows about TMS.