1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this symptom (slipping sensation) TMS-related?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by bwestern, Nov 25, 2021.

1. bwestern

bwestern New Member

Hi everyone,

I have just recently become aware of TMS, and would really appreciate if anyone could clarify if one of my symptoms could be TMS-related.

I have been experiencing numerous symptoms for 3 years - predominantly lower back pain, as well as foot, knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, groin, head and neck pain which coms and goes. Having read Dr Sarno's 'Helaing Back Pain' and Alan Gordon's 'The Way Out', I am certain that all of these symptoms are due to TMS, and I have made great progress already just by understanding and educating myself.

However, one other symptom that I experience occasionally is a slipping sensation in my right foot when walking, especially when turning a corner. It feels as if, just for a moment, I am walking on ice and my foot slips from underneath me. I feel like I have to catch myself even though my foot has not actually moved. At the same time, I feel a light-headed sensation just for that split moment when I feel like I'm slipping, and then I'm fine.

As my other symptoms have begun to ease, it seems this is becoming more frequent, and I'm even noticing the very transient light-headed feeling when sitting down occasionally now.

Has anyone else experienced this as a symptom of TMS, and if so, how would you suggest I overcome it? I enjoy going for walks for fitness and because it helps ease my back at times, but now I am becoming fearful of going for walks because I am trying to prevent myself from slipping (or feeling like I slip at least), and if it happens, I feel pain as a result of the resulting jolt. When it happens, I try to remain calm, not react and practice cognitive soothing, and I don't want to fall into the fear-avoidance trap.

Could it be that my brain is trying an alternative method of distracting me as I'm not afraid of my other symptoms anymore?

Many thanks!

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

It does sound like "symptoms of the run" as they say. This vertigo type of sensation or sensory distortion of "unsteadiness" could be symbolic of how you are feeling emotionally. You made progress but may be still a bit "shaky" in your newfound knowledge. Subconsciously, there may be fear lurking ("what if I make a mistake?", or "one wrong step and it will all disappear'...or "What if it doesn't last?"). You may not feel as if you have "solid footing" yet and that is completely normal. There's some self doubt and insecurity, and even catastrophising at play, until you build more and more confidence. When you have these types of sensations, ask yourself what you are feeling and emotionally, let it pass through, and simply don't worry about it. The brain is trying to find novel ways of diverting you, in order to alert and protect you, so you have to keep teaching it that there's no need.

bwestern and Bitzalel Brown like this.
  3. Bitzalel Brown

Bitzalel Brown Peer Supporter

I can attest to this movement of symptoms. Our brain as Miffy points our searches for "novel" distractions and I would go one step further to say that our brain comes up with symptoms that are even scarier and awaken a feeling of doom. I have seen Parkisons like shakes, brain fussies of someone with a tumor, weakness of someone with MS,the list goes on. Do what Miffy says and go over to the emotional side of the symptoms = emotions equation and prove to your brain I am safe with what feelings these symptoms generate.

miffybunny and bwestern like this.
  4. bwestern

bwestern New Member

I like the idea of having it on the run! I have had a think about what might be the emotional trigger for this, and I do have some uncertainty in my life right now regarding work. I am studying for a degree currently, but plan to go into teaching when I am finished next year. However, I am worried about going to work while I am still in the condition that I'm in; I know its a long way away and hopefull I will be much better by the time it comes around, but it does play on my mind.

I have tried journaling about this anxiety, and have also journaled about my perfectionism which I'm really struggling with while studying, but I don't feel any different yet. Do you know how journaling works? Is it a case of expressing your emotions and then the symptoms should subside pretty quickly once you've got it out on the paper, or does it take time and repetition like somatic tracking does?

Many thanks

miffybunny likes this.
  5. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @bwestern ,

The main thing I am picking up from your comments is self doubt and doubts about your future. Doubt will poison our progress and try to convince us that we won't succeed, or that we are not "good enough". Talk back to that doubt and tell it, it's wrong. Embrace uncertainty and learn to be ok with it. Accept yourself, whatever that may look like or feel like at any given moment. Continue to challenge yourself, "feel the fear and do it anyway" (the title of a good book btw!), and your confidence will gain momentum.

When it comes to feeling our emotions, we can journal about them, just sit with them, invite them in, let them pass through, ....it's all good....all that matters is that you are "allowing" them without judgment, teaching your brain that emotions are safe (you can handle them), and you are not repressing them. Progress is not measured by reduction of symptoms or speed in which they are "reduced"...progress is measure by how little we care. When we really, truly stop caring and monitoring, and start engaging with LIFE, the symptoms cease to have a purpose and they dissipate. Just. Like. That.

bwestern and plum like this.
  6. bwestern

bwestern New Member

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciated it. I'm going to purchase the book you just mentioned :)