1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by AmeliaReinheart, Dec 13, 2021.

1. AmeliaReinheart

AmeliaReinheart Newcomer

Hello there! I am 18 years old and I just recently moved to college! I have been an active person my whole life (cheerleading and gymnastics) and never really had any significant injuries or problems. I do have a history of anxiety and OCD but I thought I got a handle on it. A few days after moving to college I felt a pain in my low back. It’s like an extremely dull achey feeling that is unbearable and hurts when I set it lay down. My back feels like wood and I can barely move my hips backwards without feeling like my low lumbar spine is pinching together. The pain is in my hips and sides of my back too and occasionally I felt cramping in my legs. MRI’s, XRAY, and blood test are clear. I’ve been to countless chiropractors and nobody can tell me what’s happening. The best explanation is I have a slight anterior pelvic tilt and possibly facet syndrome. But I don’t recall doing anything that would have caused so much pain and uncomfortable pressure in my low back. Except maybe a cross country ski machine. Even so, it’s been 4 months and no change. Could this be TMS?

2. AmeliaReinheart

AmeliaReinheart Newcomer

Bending packwards and placing pressure on the area is when it’s worst

3. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

Sounds like TMS to me.

You're currently in a very stressful stage of your life due to transitioning into college (And all the pressure and expectation that entails), that's ripe hunting ground for TMS.

AmeliaReinheart likes this.
  4. David88

David88 Well known member

This sounds to me like classic TMS, especially because it is lingering so long. They symptoms you are describing are very much what I have experienced when my TMS is acting up.
    Have you done any psychological TMS work? Be patient and persistent. Sometimes it takes a while.

AmeliaReinheart likes this.
  5. AmeliaReinheart

AmeliaReinheart Newcomer

*reading
    yes I have been reading and journaling! It’s so tough to fully accept when it feels so real! I am trying though!

6. David88

Of course, the pain is real. It's just that it's not caused by an injury or illness, but by your brain trying to distract you.

Focus on what was going on when the pain started. You were in your first few days at college. That's a big life change and is sure to bring up a lot of new feelings.

7. Mala

Mala Well known member

Please watch this. Jessica's journey with TMS

8. AmeliaReinheart

AmeliaReinheart Newcomer

I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around something and was hoping someone could explain. When I move my hips backwards I feel a severe punching between my L4/L5. A severe dull ache stays most all the time but an extreme pain when the low back is bend backwards. How could that be TMS? It’s been going on for 4 months now. I never stopped exercising (walking and light core stuff, never weights or anything like that). I’m young and my tests show nothing.

9. Mala

Mala Well known member

Did u watch the video?

10. David88

TMS is a mind-body condition. It's not 'all in the head'. The brain makes changes that cause muscles, nerves, and tendons (and sometimes other things) to become tender and sore. When you move or use the affected part, it can increase the pain. The muscles, nerves, or whatever are objectively sore. But the cause is TMS.

For example, TMS can create muscle spasms, tendinitis, or swelling. All of these are real, and any doctor will notice them and probably put them down, incorrectly, to some physical injury.

westb, Mr Hip Guy and AmeliaReinheart like this.
  11. AmeliaReinheart

AmeliaReinheart Newcomer

Ok! So along this line I should continue to exercise and challenge my brain?

12. David88

Yes, but be gentle with yourself. If you've stopped exercising because of the pain, it's usually best to resume gradually to build up confidence.

13. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

Read or re-read the Sarno books. One of the 12 daily reminders is to resume physical activity, this is a basic tenet of the program.