1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Jon Frederickson - ISTDP - Anxiety

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mike2014, Dec 13, 2014.

1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi All,
    I have just watched these clips by Jon Frederickson regarding ISTDP which fit inline with Mind Body teachings. The videos are targeted for Therapist, but very insightful for anyone who wishes to integrate this into their healing.

Regards
    Mike

Forest likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for posting this, Mike. Those videos look great.

For those who haven't read the other threads, I'll recap that ISTDP is a style of psychotherapy that is highly praised by a number of TMS Therapists, most notably, Arlene Feinblatt, who worked with Dr. Sarno for almost 40 years and has been referred to as the mother of all TMS therapists.

I've been trying to connect the TMS communities and the ISTDP communities since 2010, so I am on Jon's mailing list. Jon runs the ISTDP institute and I have added him to a mailing list I manage for TMS practitioners. Perhaps that is where he heard about the TMS documentary, All The Rage. Jon only sends out email blasts for the ISTDP institute very rarely, so I was quite touched that he took the time to send one out about All The Rage, encouraging people to join the kickstarter. Here is what he wrote:
    [​IMG]
    Overcoming Pain

October 12, 2014
    Unprocessed emotions can lead to pain through the discharge of anxiety or through the process of repression/somatization. One of the great supporters of ISTDP has been Dr. John Sarno, a long time advocate of addressing physical pain syndromes by addressing their underlying emotional causes.

See this link and consider supporting a kickstarter campaign which will support a documentary film on Dr. Sarno's campaign to show the public the emotional causes of pain. I think you'll find this film to be impressive in the ways that it shows how Dr. Sarno is supporting the basis of our work.

Founder, Jon Frederickson

Faculty
    Allan Abbass, MD
    Thomas Brod, MD
    Patricia Coughlin, Ph.D.
    Jon Frederickson, MSW
    Allen Kalpin, MD
    Susan Warshow, MSW

Permalink: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=9215e0e584b71c4cdf0eac064&id=455098c336&e=f98d9683dd

From his email, you can see that the ISTDP movement uses different language from the TMS movement. However, merely from the fact that Jon sent out an email about the Dr. Sarno documentary, it's clear that there are common, deeply held values and that we are working toward the same goal - helping people in pain.

Perhaps as a result of Jon's email blast, a number of people who contributed to the Kickstarter mentioned Alan Abbass, the leading mindbody ISTDP researcher. I was speaking with Rumur a couple of weeks ago, and it looks they are in touch with Alan. Plans can of course change, but they said they were planning on including him in the film. ISTDP is a well established movement with centers in many countries, so the more partnerships we can build the better chance we will have of helping more people.

Speaking of Allan Abbass, you've probably seen this, but we put him on our main ISTDP page.
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Intensive_Short_Term_Dynamic_Psychotherapy
    I've got far too many projects going now to ever get to the bottom of my many todo lists, but at some point I'd love to add the directories that you and Ellen shared in another thread as well (thanks for sharing them! I don't think I ever would have found them).

North Star and mike2014 like this.
  3. Forest

North Star and mike2014 like this.
  4. mike2014

Hi Forest,

Thanks for the information. I'm sure it will be very useful for anyone who is considering this type of therapy. I have just come across a really good paper on ISTDP which was written by The American Psychological Association. It includes key clinical processes; background of ISTDP, theory and cases studies with Therapist to Patient dialogue.

Unfortunately, I could not get the link to work when I made this post, so I have attached a pdf.

Regards,

Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    Forest and Ellen like this.
  5. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Goodness, how very timely. I am going tomorrow to see an ISTDP therapist for the first time. It will be interesting and, I hope, helpful.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

These posts are very interesting. I will spend some time learning more about ISTDP and watching the videos.

7. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Me too. I just started learning about it a couple days ago.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

These are great posts about ISTDP. I watched the Dr. Allan Abbass video just now and understand
    ISTDP a little better. It's a complex technique for TMS healing so I need to research on it more.

Addressing underlying causes of our symptoms makes sense to me. Learning them, accepting them,
    and through whatever processes that work for us, letting them go. Being at peace with ourselves
    is what TMS is all about, even more than being pain-free.

9. mike2014

Hi All,

For anyone who wishes to see the Dr Allan Abbas video -

regards,

Mike

North Star and Irene like this.
  10. Forest

It took a while, but I managed to find a link to the paper on Allan Abbass's web site:
    http://www.istdp.ca/docs/2013Key_clinical_processes_in_istdp.pdf

North Star likes this.
  11. mike2014

Hi All,

I have I have come across more great clips on ISTDP and wanted to share these with you.

All the best,

Mike

Forest likes this.
  12. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

I've posted on my experience with ISTDP on the Parts therapy/IFS subform. All in all, I enjoyed it very much and feel I got a lot of benefit. Not nearly as scary as expected but the therapist didn't waste any time getting down to the issues.

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Mike, those are really helpful ISTDP videos.

14. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow. Enjoying a cup of tea while I watch these videos, thank you so much, Mike for adding them. And to you too, Forest for the added info. (Must get myself another cup of tea!)

My one session of ISTDP with Dr. Schubiner made a believer out of me. After an emotional session, my shoulders and neck were remarkably free of the usual tension. Dr. Schubiner says it's something he sees all the time. I'm eager to learn more about this.

mike2014 and Forest like this.