1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Just starting

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by KarolinaUK, Aug 3, 2022.

1. KarolinaUK

KarolinaUK Newcomer

Hi Everyone,

I am so glad to have found this community.

I came across TMS concept and Dr Sarno's work just over a month ago after a year of chronic coccyx pain and after exhausting all possible treatments - acupuncture, osteopath, manual pelvic floor therapy, steroid injections, prolotherapy, shockwave therapy, Bowen therapy. No stone left unturned other than a surgery, which does not have very promising prospects either.

I woke with a really bad coccyx pain from my hysterectomy surgery, which according to my surgeon went very well and there is nothing wrong. Weeks went by, I healed from the surgery but coccyx pain stayed. Day in day out changing how I live my day to day life.

Months later it has been discovered that I do have what is called 'hooked coccyx', possibly as a result of an injury when I was a child as I do not remember it. I used to think I had a wonky tailbone but it has not bothered me for 40 years of my life, so why now? An osteopath explained that hysterectomy may have disrupted internal alignment, hence, the pain now. But this is just a guess.

I fit TMS profile perfectly, but I do struggle to convince myself that my pain is definitely TMS and not caused by my wonky coccyx.

Any advice and wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Karolina

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello, @KarolinaUK - have you been doing more work in the SEP, and if so, how is it going?

We do say here that if you've been medically checked out, and they can't find anything definitive that is wrong, that there is absolutely no harm in treating your symptoms as TMS. Even if something in your coccyx was tweaked a bit as a result of surgery, our bodies were meant to heal. However our minds can hold on to pain in order to keep us worried and alert for danger - as you should be learning via the SEP. There are also plenty of other resources you can learn from, many of which are complementary to, and some which go beyond, Dr. Sarno's theories.

Feel free to check out my profile, where I list a bunch of my favorite resources, including an audio program called Meditations to Change Your Brain - which is mostly lecture about how our brains are wired to be naturally negative and fearful. We also recommend browsing the Success Stories subforum for inspiration. you will see that there is no one path, no "right" way to do this work - but that belief in the process, learning to talk to and calm our brains, and a healthy dose of self-compassion and self-love are necessary.

~Jan