1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Just THINKING about the pain brings it on

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by jamejamesjames1, Aug 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

The frustrating part for TMS for me is sometimes the pain will go way down, sometimes even away.

As soon as I notice this or think about it it comes raring right back. Can be hours or days of intensity after that.

I can't control my thoughts so how the hell can I kick this thing when the mere thought of it flares so much?

2. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

Try being thankful for the moments of peace with no pain. Question why it makes sense to focus on the moments with pain. Why are they so important?

Those thoughts are not important. Why pay attention? You aren’t your thoughts, and they seem to be dysfunctional. What would do if your neighbor was like that? Fight them day in and out or ignore?

3. Sita

Sita Well known member

In the end, you'll have to chose. It's either pain, or love.

So, in other words: you chose to concentrate on pain, or...you chose to concentrate on love. And letting go. Surrender.

Tms_joe is right. They are only thoughts. You don't have to believe them, discard them and forget about them. Let them fly away, like birds...just don't concentrate on them, don't feed them anymore.

4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

The fear is what is generating the thought. A thought is just a thought. You don't have to believe it or fear it or identify with it. We are not our thoughts. Just because you think something does not make it true. Our thoughts pass like clouds. I have had homicidal and suicidal thoughts (as we all do I'm sure) but that doesn't mean I have to judge those thoughts or let them upset me. Thoughts and feelings are safe and TEMPORARY...just as your pain is temporary. Lose the fear, and you cut off the fuel to the danger center and the pain signals.

5. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

@miffybunny

Thank you for your response. I do truly love your advice.

I need you to follow me around and correct me every five minutes for a few weeks then I'd be good haha.

I think finding out about tms has been a blessing and a curse.

A blessing that nothing is wrong with me and healing fully is possible.

A curse because seeing all the different theories and treatments confused me and made me worse. I got way to caught up in the emotions which I don't think are MY problem (I bet for a lot that's not true).

I really think my ten plus years of anxiety and panic attack have just left me to pain. I don't think I have to think any harder than that. I think I can let go of not journaling write or not changing my life or finding that hidden secret.

I think I've just learned to be anxious from thoughts and then become afraid of symotoms. That's it!!!

So I think I'm going to lay most "tms work" down and simplify.

Mindfulness meditation really helps me, so I'll keep that in conjunction with trying to stop fearing symptoms and doubting myself every step of the way.

There is no reason to change anythibg in my life, it's objectively good. I just need the gratitude and perception change.

I think there night be many of these type out here. The anxiety-staryed-tms NOT anxiety-is-jusy-another-symptom

eskimoeskimo likes this.