1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Lady Gaga on how Trauma led to her chronic pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, May 25, 2021.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I came across this article from Self Magazine earlier today. I wish we had a way to reach her!

Warning: This story includes discussions of sexual assault.

Lady Gaga on How Her Rape, Pregnancy, and Trauma Led to Chronic Pain
    “Your body remembers,” she said.

By Sarah Jacoby

Lady Gaga shed light on the connection between mental health, trauma, and chronic pain in a new episode of The Me You Can't See, an Apple+ docuseries from Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry.

In the emotional interview, Lady Gaga revealed that she was pregnant after being sexually assaulted by a producer she was working with at age 19. Gaga declined to name her alleged abuser, saying that she simply doesn't feel comfortable doing so. “I understand this #MeToo movement. I understand that some people feel really comfortable with this and I do not,” she explained, per Today. “I do not ever want to face that person again. This system is so abusive and so dangerous.”

Years later, she went to the doctor for help with chronic pain but was surprised when her doctor brought in a psychiatrist. “First I felt full-on pain, then I went numb, and then I was sick for weeks and weeks after,” she said, per Access. “And I realized it was the same pain that I felt when the person who raped me dropped me off pregnant on the corner at my parent's house because I was vomiting and sick.”

Even though she's had “so many” MRIs scans, “they don’t find nothing,” she said. “But your body remembers.”

Chronic aches and pains are common symptoms of depression, anxiety, and other mental health conditions. Previously, Gaga revealed that she has posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which causes physical symptoms. “My diaphragm seizes up. Then I have a hard time breathing, and my whole body goes into a spasm. And I begin to cry,” she said. “That's what it feels like for trauma victims every day, and it's...miserable... I always say that trauma has a brain. And it works its way into everything that you do.”

In the new interview, Gaga said that she wanted to use her story to help others who may be in a similar situation. Now, part of her healing process involves “trying to make sure I give back with that experience instead of locking it away and faking it,” she said.

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, you can call the 24/7 National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800-656-HOPE (4673). More resources are available online from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. To find a sexual assault service provider near you, visit RAINN.

About the writer: Sarah Jacoby is the Associate News Director at SELF. She's an experienced health and science journalist who is particularly interested in the science of skin care, sexual and reproductive health, drugs and drug policy, and mental health. Sarah is a graduate of NYU's Science, Health, and Environmental Reporting Program and... Read more

Source: https://www.self.com/story/lady-gaga-trauma-chronic-pain (Lady Gaga on How Her Rape, Pregnancy, and Trauma Led to Chronic Pain)

[​IMG]

tgirl, Cap'n Spanky and TG957 like this.
  2. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

It's good, at least, that she's made the connection between her trauma and physical pain. Maybe someday she'll find this program or something very similar.

It seems that more and more, the established medical community is connecting trauma and mental health to illness and pain. But they won't take the next big step. They still don't see how it's possible to fully recover through a psychological and somatic process that addresses all of it: trauma, mental health, illness, and pain.

Anyway, at least things are moving in the right direction.

Sita, Baseball65 and tgirl like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

There is also a good documentary on her on Netflix. It's called Lady Gaga: Five Foot Two and came out in 2017. After watching this documentary was when I realized she has TMS. Hopefully, someone with TMS knowledge has been able to reach her by now.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.