1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Latest TMS Understanding of Knee "Meniscus" Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hambone, Jun 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. hambone

hambone Peer Supporter

Can someone please tell me the latest thinking on whether "Torn Meniscus" knee pain is TMS? It has all the hallmarks of TMS: doctors don't really know the mechanism by which "torn"meniscuses cause pain; meniscus surgery doesn't beat placebo and "torn" meniscus frequently resolves itself without surgery.

I have a ton of synovial fluid that leaked and swelled up my knee. Can TMS do that?

Thanks for your ideas. Steve

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

One of my longer TMS conversions after I healed from back pain was my knee. It happened during a time when I was getting ready to end my marriage and when they drained that fluid and I saw how such a small amount of fluid could completely freeze my knee, I instantly thought 'Doh'... it got me again.
    I treated it as TMS and it went away...the knee problem and the marriage both (LOL) I was in denial about my marriage so the symptoms stuck around longer than some other tickles I have had...maybe 3-4 weeks?
    And just to show it is 'common specific emotional symptoms' as Sarno said, it ached again the week the divorce was final a few years later.
    I am certain from the symptoms/diagnosis I got that if I hadn't been aware of TMS they would have operated...that was 10 years ago....zero problems since (at least with my knee)

hope that helps.

jbrooks likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Consumer Reports recently wrote that when comparing the outcomes of knee surgery and hip surgery a few years later, hip patients were happy with their surgery and knee patients typically were not.

The same article also profiled Dr. David Hanscom and his Back In Control program, which is a huge step for CR!