1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Making a progressive stride in recovery from back pain?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by jorgem12, Jul 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jorgem12

jorgem12 Peer Supporter

Hi all! I joined the TMS wiki almost 2 years ago when I first learned about Dr. Sarno's work since I had had chronic pain for a couple of years along with other TMS symptoms (anxiety, acid reflux, etc).

In my 2-year journey since learning about and 100% accepting the diagnosis and trying many methods (reading books, structured education program, seeing a TMS doctor for over a year). I still haven't eliminated my pain which is sad and frustrating for me since I am now on the premedical path to becoming a TMS doctor. I do my best to be kind to myself about not recovering yet given my experiences.

Currently, I'm going through Dr. Schubiner's book and journaling when I can -- slowly -- since I'm busy with school. Yesterday, I did one of the journaling exercises on a people-pleasing trait and a deep-seated pain that I had repressed as a kid came up. I cried. A lot. It felt like a good relief after and I slept well! I woke up with less tension in my lower back than I have in a couple of months. Yet, upon making breakfast, back tension and back pain came back with a vengeance!

Currently, I'm experiencing very intense back pain when I bend and move and extreme tension. It sucks! But, I feel like this is also a stride forward since they tend to say that if a TMS symptom gets worse when working on repressed emotions it's a good sign.

Any thoughts? Words of wisdom?

Thanks for reading!