1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 32 Me make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MrPositive248, Apr 6, 2017.

1. MrPositive248

MrPositive248 New Member

My last major mistake was not keeping my snow blower maintained properly. When I went to remove 2 feet of now from the driveway I found a couple of things not working right or at all on the machine. Removing the snow that day (and night) is an experience I will long remember.

How did it make me feel? I was extremely angry with my self. I called myself all kinds of very nasty names. I insulted myself repeatedly. I even would hit myself, throw things and yell. If I ever treated another person as badly as I treat myself for making a mistake they would through me in jail. Small mistakes or big I threat myself horribly. There is no excuse or forgiveness possible for me. Tantrums, screaming, throwing and breaking inanimate objects, rage. My father acted this way when I was a child and it would always scare the hell out of me, now I do it.

I really need to treat myself better, but it happens so fast. By the time I realize how ridiculous I’m behaving the damage is done.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi MrPositive248,

I understand your clarity about the way you act out on the outer world, and internally on yourself. This is very good to see, and to understand how this fits Dr. Sarno's approach to explain your symptoms. Much progress can be made by simply seeing clearly the connections and knowing the real causes of your symptoms. Without changing your personality.

I also want to say that you might be wrong that "the damage is done." This sounds perhaps like more self-rejection, self-hate, frankly. Instead, I would encourage you to take the time to practice self-compassion for yourself. This can be done after the fact, and helps heal and soothe. While we all act out in the moment, this does not condemn us! We are at heart tender loving beings who often loose our way. I hope you find forgiveness for yourself in whatever way it may arrive!

Andy B

3. MrPositive248

MrPositive248 New Member

I will try to Journal on it somehow or write myself a letter.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Forgiving one's self is so important in TMS healing. There are some very good free videos on Youtube
    on self compassion and forgiveness. I'm 86 and TMS has taught me more about myself than I ever thought possible. I like myself a lot more and when I think back on my long life, I forgive my shortcomings. I stand pretty tall.