1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Mel Robbins, 5 second rule

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

What do others here think of Mel Robbins?

Elijah Lynn, Durga and mike2014 like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

She looks good. I like that she is learning about some of the amazing research out there and trying to make it useful for regular people.

I Googled the five second rule and here is her super-short summary of it: "If you have an impulse to act on a goal, you must physically move within 5 seconds or your brain will kill the idea."

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Yes, it's a simple saying. She explains more through another video I watched the other day on motivation. All the other teachers in the video were saying what I'd heard before, but she had something different, special.
    It's not that she's trying to motivate you, it's the way she explains the way our mind works that motivates you.
    Anyways, the YouTube video was like 49 minutes long and her teaching was what stuck with me.
    I usually listen to some motivation before a workout or for anything if I'm feeling tired or not up to task.
    I heard her talking about that 5 seconds you have to do what it is you wanna do or after that the mind will talk you out of it.
    Well my mind had been talking me out of my workout all day, and the more I wanted to workout the more fatigued I got.
    She explained her points and it made sense, I was getting tired from the adrenaline overload that I was doing nothing with.
    I went out and got in a great workout.
    Now I remember how hard it was on my energy levels when I began to heal.
    I was so tired it was hard to walk 200 ft and back without giving outta breath.
    Now I know besides atrophy and sensitization that the adrenaline overload was wearing me down too.
    Like the fight, flight or freeze mechanism in anxiety that makes us so tired, so it coincides with the adrenaline overload.
    Same mechanism I'd assume.
    It's just after being back on my workouts again for 6 months now she reminded of something very important that I wasn't thinking about.
    It's really stuck with me. It works for fatigue, very impressed.

mike2014 and Forest like this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for sharing it.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Ines, Lavender, Lainey and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Herbie
    Thanks for posting this video. She is very inspiring. I love her energy.
    Lainey

7. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

As another side note, I sent the link of MRobbins video to my gdaughter (age 26). She is a focused young woman, of a mind, that she needs to do now what she believes others in her cohort are putting off. She found this video inspiring as well, 'Why thirty is not the new Twenty', found on Ted Talks.

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thank you Lainey

9. Ines

Ines Well known member

Herbie, have you been trying this technique?

10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Yes, Yes

11. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Herbie,
    Some time has gone by, has this 5 second rule made a positive Impact on you? This is very interesting. I've been very worn out lately, and at 51 I'm not ready to give up on getting back to normal.
    Thanks, Lizzy