1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Midnight only right leg and knee pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sam1984, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Sam1984

Sam1984 New Member

Hi

New to this forum but have read Dr Sarno's books and a lot about TMS.

I've suffered of anxiety for the past 2.5 years. I am 32 now, married and 3 kids.

Initially pain was on the left side of the chest. After months of working on it, it moved to the right side of my stomach. Then it went away and moved to the lower back and going down to the knee. It was any time when I would get stressed during the day.

I overvame the stress notably but now it seems to be a memorized pain still on the lower back, buttock and knee and ONLY during midnight! It wakes me up every night and gets better 1 hr later. It wakes me up and I notice I am short breathing and kind of having an anxiety situation even if I was sleeping!

During the day I am perfect. I work out, run, work, etc and no pain at all!!

If I take half a tylenol or half an Aleeve before going to bed it helps a lot.

Has anyone heard of pain being "scheduled" to night only? Any suggestions to get rid of it?

Thanks!

2. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

Samy,

The regularity of your symptoms, and the fact that it's tied to - of all things - the clock, the fact that you're symptom free most of the time, you're aware of anxiety, that you wake up with a start, that you're 32 with three kids, and the pain went away and moved, screams conditioning and TMS. I believe Sarno and a few other books mentioned pain which is tied to a particular time as an example of conditioning. In my opinion, how could it be otherwise? What would happen if you changed time zones? Is your back or knee suddenly injured for one hour at midnight?

You asked if other people have experienced pain just at night. That's not my pain pattern personally, but I've seen a lot of it here on the forum. Increased pain at night appears to be one of the most common patterns. I wouldn't concentrate too much on the details of the pattern, but rather recognize that the "pattern-ness" of your symptoms is probably a good indication that it's TMS.

Eskimo

3. eskimoeskimo

Michael, what you describe and prescribe here is essentially the opposite of TMS theory. If you have doubts about the TMS theory, that's probably best saved for another thread so that it can be discussed at length without confusing Sam.

Marytabby and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

Michael is a puppet user that has been created to promote another thread about a pain clinic. Hopefully the mods will take care of the whole thing.

Ines, Marytabby and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. eskimoeskimo

Thanks jaumeb, that makes more sense. I was trying to give 'him' the benefit of the doubt and not alienate anyone from the conversation, but really I was thinking: "What the hell?"

Ines, JanAtheCPA and jaumeb like this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. We count on members to alert us to questionable or objectionable posts, because there's too much content for us to monitor it all! As eskimoeskimo knows (because he took action) any time someone sees a questionable post, they can click on the "Report" link at the bottom of the post. The next time a moderator logs in, he or she will see a red flag on the menu bar. Even if you're just not quite sure about a post, you can explain in the comments section of the report. The person posting won't know anything unless the mods decide to take action.

Anyway, I deleted the post as being off-topic, and additional queries are being made. I'm inclined to keep your exchange in the thread, because even though it's also technically off-topic for the thread, it's also educational on a couple of levels ;)

~Jan

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    jaumeb and Ines like this.