1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Multiple ways to heal from TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Chizzy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Chizzy

Chizzy Peer Supporter

What I'm noticing about TMS is dozens (maybe hundreds) of people have their own theories and ways of dealing with the pain and healing themselves regardless of Sarno's teachings and theory of distraction. What is your thoughts on this? I hear different healing processes and beliefs from multiple people. I believe that my brain is constantly in fight/flight/freeze so my entire body is always freezing up causing major tension specifically in my pelvis. My brain is wired as if I'm always in danger and never safe. When I'm able to think and feel safe, feel my emtions, the tension in my body releases and my pain is instantly gone. I come from a childhood and early adulthood of severe trauma and I have complex PTSD. I have done a fairly good job slowly dissolving my pain to the point where I have weeks without pain at times. Any advice about what's right and what's wrong when it comes to healing will be much appreciated.

2. Lunarlass66

Lunarlass66 Well known member

I absolutely commend you for your progress Chizzy...
    Feeling safe is a HUGE issue for me too. I have major abandonment issues that have worsened as a result of a recent personal loss... And along with it physical pain, especially my low back for the past, almost 3 years...
    I can empathize with you, as it seems like a never-ending cycle... It just seems like that feeling of safety should increase with wisdom and age, and yet as I've grown older, I'm more insecure than ever.. Counseling has provided little progress, if any. I wish I wasn't stuck. :(

Lily Rose likes this.
  3. Chizzy

Chizzy Peer Supporter

What I'm learning in my intense outpatient program, is similar to what I learned on these TMS sites. Got to retrain your brain, everyday have to be consistent and try to think differently, and feel differently. The truth is, is it can take years and years to rewire the way we think and feel, but if you don't start then it'll never happen. Progress can be very slow, whatever you do, don't give up. I still have really bad days, and weeks though as well. I opened up about some dark stuff in my past to my therapist yesterday, and to my wife, and I had the worst pain last night and it was there in my sleep and when I woke up. Today I'm feeling better.

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Chizzy, it is taking so many years because of the constant focus on past traumas. The more you focus on the past, on your own or in therapy, the more anger and rage you will feel and the more pain you will have. It's simple logic.

My approach is completely the opposite. I focus on creating a bright future. A future so compelling that past traumas pale in comparison. In the process of reaching that bright future, you will be growing so much as a person and become so positive, optimistic, hopeful with excitement and enthusiasm for life that your brain will completely rewire and your past will not matter anymore--and neither will TMS.

That's how I improved immediately and recovered rapidly within a few days from sciatica in both legs, pain in my back, neck, shoulders, knees, feet, and eyes as well as pain and numbness in my arms and hands. I have stayed pain-free for more than 20 years and so have my readers. It has been done and can be done.

Focus on the future and let go of the past. You will be much healthier and happier.

linnyc87 likes this.
  5. Chizzy

Chizzy Peer Supporter

We can agree to disagree here. Do you have complex PTSD? Even if you do, just because you were able to change so rapidly doesn't mean other people are, that's plain ignorant. My PTSD started when I was 4 - 7 years old, you ain't fixing that as quickly as what you're saying. I appreciate your input, but I take it with a grain of salt. Don't you understand that when you grow up with Trauma all your brain knows is trauma? Read my story before you decide to analyze me. By the way, to everyone out there, the TMS Forum can be very deceiving, so many opinions can steer you in the wrong direction. I am going to get off the forum for a while. Stick to the facts with Sarno and listen to the professionals. Some people are going to need much more help than just the TMS therapist or Workshop. Sometimes you need to tackle things from multiple angles. The worst thing anyone can do is quit trying to get better before the miracle happens. Sorry if I seem worked up, your arrogance is overwhelming.

I go weeks without pain, even months, it's a struggle, but I'm more concerned about rewiring my neural system so that I can have something something I've never had.... peace.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Lunarlass66 likes this.
  6. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Chizzy,

I certainly did not mean to minimize your trauma and apologize if what I said offended you in any way. I was pointing out what I have seen work for the past 24 years of working with TMS cases.

There are those who go through intensive psychotherapy and recover. There are also those who don't. In my coaching program, I have had many clients who have worked with therapists for months or years focusing on past traumas and ended up with a recurrence of pain. Once they followed my Rapid Recovery Plan, they recovered.

Since you mentioned that recovery can take many years, I wanted to point out that perhaps it is advisable to try a different approach.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. Chizzy

Chizzy Peer Supporter

I just started. I am in week 3 of a 12 week program.

Have a good night, I'm off this forum for a while.