1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Muscle tension TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cgioia, Jun 11, 2022.

1. cgioia

cgioia New Member

I've had forearm pain for the past two years.

Using mind body techniques Ive managed to get it to a manageable level, but it's still pretty limiting, e.g. pretty much don't play games anymore.

I've been on vacation from my typing heavy job for the past 5 weeks, and the last week my arm is hurting more than ever, despite less use.

I'm stressed about returning home to my anxious life.

I've noticed that the painful arm is quite tense on extension, it's like a chord is holding back my fingers when I extend them.

This makes it quite hard to accept it's all psychological as there's a very real tension when actually using the affected hand.

Has anyone else experienced this type of tension and still resolved through TMS?

Thanks

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Cgioia, I had a severe flare up from my butt to my toes. I couldn't straighten my leg out for a short time, but for quite awhile the entire length of my leg there was a contracted group of muscles like a half inch diameter rope running down, sort of back to front. So weird. I was unable to walk at all for a while and unable to walk for exercise for weeks. My adult daughter was sure I would need physical therapy when, or if, I got better. When I did a lot of psychological work with a tms therapist, I was perfectly fine. I have known about tms more than 20 years, but it was the most physically changed symptoms I'd ever had. The ropey muscles were hard as a rock! I hope hearing this is reassuring!

3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

What you have is called dystonia. I had a similar experience, started with pain and then proceeded with muscle tension, swelling and eventually evolved into complex regional pain syndrome. It was, without any doubt, TMS. I am 100% symptom free now. Dystonia was the most persistent of my many symptoms, but it is all gone now. You can find my success story under Success Stories subforum.