1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Muscle twitches

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Frankie1089, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Frankie1089

Frankie1089 Peer Supporter

I have just realized that the sensations I was feeling in my ankle and calves were muscle twitches. I was just looking down on my legs and I can see my calves twitching uncontrollably. Different parts. Has anyone experienced this? Feeling it is one thing but seeing it makes me scared.. can some one give me some feed back..

2. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

No reason to worry. My calf and upper thigh around my knee twitch often, especially bad during this anxiousness I am having now. They stopped when I stopped focusing on them. My brother has this too. Tension and stress are big for muscle twitching. Mine use to go crazy before I stopped worrying about it.

TG957 and Drew like this.
  3. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

Anxiety be thankful that’s all you have. Acknowledge your defo anxious about something and it will go

TG957 likes this.
  4. Drew

Drew Peer Supporter

Exactly like you I can even see the calves firing pretty hard mine gets burning and electric sensations to on knees above it and just generally all of legs. So the remedy is just stop worrying about it and get les anxious about this and life things and stressors too??

5. Pingman

From what I am learning this go around, just recognize that its not the actual leg twitching that's the issue, it's your fear of it and that it won't go away ever or lead to a worse condition that keeps it around.

Recognizing that fear and telling yourself that its just the anxiety and fear your body is perceiving that keeps it spasming. When I was extremely anxious a month ago mine started really bad. I would sit on the couch and watch it spasm non stop. It was freaky but I could mentally attribute the spasm to my anxiousness and after a few days when my mind was more concerned with other issues I was having it just stopped.

Drew likes this.
  6. Pingman

So here is proof about the muscle twitching. Haven't had these for weeks and replied to this thread today and boom my right thigh is spasming like crazy today.

Drew likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Peer Supporter

Omg!!!!
    That’s sooo true like I’ll tell someone or read it on a forum and boom I’ll have it that day myself. Same with tingling and burning and electric shock nerve sensations.
    Sometimes I’ll even be sitting and think of I haven’t had a twitch or that particular kind of nerve sensation then for that whole day I’ll start having that.

Also the calf twitching I can literally make it happen. If I sit and just starte at my calves slowly and feel it it starts then goes up n up. If I’m busy with something then it doesn’t.

definitely stress tension and anxiety are huge but u fell I have gotten caught in a cycle where my body is not calming down almost everyday it one thing or the other and then it also spread from legs to upper body and face and back especially since I started reading about them on this forum and youtube videos on anxiety symtpoms.

do u think just go back to life and whenever I feel em tell myself there u have anxiety or u are stressing that’s it??
    The burning legs is the worst cause that feels
    Like hot lava on legs and then I kinda always panic cause even clothes brushing on legs feel so weird

8. jayMck

jayMck New Member

This twitching seems to be my latest symptom too. It all started when a new burning upper back pain developed (as opposed to my normal lower back pain.
    Doc ordered an X-ray (which just showed a normal 59 year old back with some mild compression/deterioration as far as he was concerned). But then in June my wife and I were walking and suddenly I noticed the front of my left calf felt numb. It really freaked me out. It became all I could think about.
    We took 3 trips this summer, which involved a lot of walking. For all of them I was really stressed out about not holding up my end, ruining everyone's trip, not being able to walk. But I did. On our trip to Toronto and Montreal we walked an average of 8 miles a day.
    But just before the Canada trip, I started noticing my left bicep would twitch now and then. Especially if I looked right at it. Within a few days I noticed that I was feeling twitches all over. If I think about it, focus on it, worry about it, I still do. Trying to meditate, send my brain messages of safety and realize that this is just a physical manifestation of my anxiety. My brain is on high-alert all the time about symptoms.
    So far my TMS manifestations have been: childhood allergies, back pain, neck pain, TMS, IBS, TMJ, plantar fasciatus, tinnitus, numbness and now twitching muscles. Come on brain! I seriously can't have that many things wrong with me!

JanAtheCPA likes this.