1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My story......I have TMS and I need support and advices

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by erick, Jan 22, 2013.

1. erick

erick New Member

Hi Guys I want to share my story,

I have TMS……………………………………………………………

My name is Erick...I’m 36 years old and I’m an expat living in Germany…….

I have low pain back since one year ago, i have visited the doctor several times and the diagnosis was that I don’t have absolutely anything, because of that reason, I have started to read (since 2-3 months ago) the book from Dr. Sarno (Healing Back Pain) because a friend has TMS too. At the beginning I felt fine, and the pain was “away” and I decided to do sport again (gym, running, etc).

A few weeks ago I got again the low back pain, and I can’t keep it away, I am “working” with my brain trying to find my “stressors”, but I think I haven’t it found them really good.

I want to ask for some advices or help, how can I tell my brain that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!, “I want to take the Sword of Damocles into my hands instead of having it hang over my head”.

Erick

P.D. sorry for my English, but I am not an native English speaker.

2. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Hi Erick
    I am so sorry to hear you are struggling. I would strongly recommend the Structured Education Program found on this wiki. The program is broken down into daily activities so you don't overwhelm yourself. I would also encourage you to be patient and kind to yourself. Remember you've spent 36 years learning to think and act exactly as you do right now, as much as we all might like to, that is not going to change over night. The program has been a great education for me personally. I am on Day 22 and I have learned so much about TMS and many helpful tips for trying to find those stressors. I also think you will find the forums very beneficial, the members here are very helpful and supporting.
    Best Wishes
    Leslie

3. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

Hi Erick.

I'm from Germany as well and we seem to have the big problem, that
    TMS is not well known in our country. No doc I've seen in the last 13 years knows about it.
    Maybe we can share our knowlegde if either of us finds something out about
    TMS in Germany.
    First I suggest you start with the SEP as did I and I'm restarting currently.
    It is really helpful in combination with the help of all the more experienced users of this forum.

All the best
    Chris

4. erick

erick New Member

Hi Leslie, Hi Chris,

@ Leslie: Thank you for your help/advice. I started yesterday with the Structured Education Program and i am really motivated!.....today I will continue and I am not planning to give up!

@ Chris: Yes, I realised, there is no Info in Germany :(.....and of course we can share info about the TMS if I find something!. I wish you good luck with the program and with the TMSwiki!.

Erick

5. Lori

Lori Well known member

Guten Tag Erick. it's important to this new information to be repeated so it sinks in so I would read Dr. Sarno's books again. His program was reading the same several pages for 30 days. Yes, 30. I remember thinking "why do this again--I know what it says" but I was in so much pain I did read it every day for 30 days, along with journaling. And my back pain is gone.

Hugs for healing!

6. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

Good Idea.
    I'll start reading the book every day.
    You say that it helped you. I give it a shot, can't hurt to do so.
    Thank you.

7. erick

erick New Member

Hi Lori,

I am doing the "Structured Education Program" and Im on the "Day 6".... I feel good, but the pain its still on my low back, Im really motivated and I am not going to give up!!!....I will read the book again and i will buy the "divided mind book".

I have TMS and I will be free of pain soon!...I promise and thank you guys for your advices and help!

Erick

veronica73 likes this.
  8. Back2-It

Back2-It Peer Supporter

I have found insights in reading Steven C. Hayes book, "Get out of your Mind and into your Life". Not about pain per se, though it is talked about, but about behavior modification. His concept, ACT (Act Commitment Therapy), can, if nothing else augment the SEP. Just think about the title of the book..."Get out of your Mind...." You have "gotten" the idea of TMS/anxiety caused physical symptoms; but, aside from "fighting" the cause of it, whatever that cause to you may be, and being acutely tuned to the returned symptoms, are you on a constructive parallel plan in all areas of your life to act on, to carry on, as if you were not experiencing the symptoms, or are those plans superseded or waylaid by the physical symptoms? Though acceptance of the symptoms has been talked about by many authors and posters, Hayes' reasoning and methods seem to provide some missing links between accepting and focusing and assigning meaning and accepting and taking action.

TMS may not be known in Germany under "TMS", but there is certainly a growing understanding about the effects of chronic stress and the incorrect and dangerous, often life long habitual reactions to it, that manifest the physical symptoms, that, if need be, a therapist who understands what it does to every person's body, can be found. (Wow, what a run- on, fractured sentence, and English is my native language;)).

MorComm likes this.