1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New but not much progress

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by brunutte18, Jun 9, 2021.

1. brunutte18

brunutte18 New Member

Hello
    I am new this is my first post and I am about 2 weeks into hearing of TMS. I fully believe this is what I have. After two years of endless tests, over ten doctors, every diet ect nothing has ever been found. My symptoms are dizziness (off and on) intermittent back pain, neck pain, plugged right ear, muscle tightness and the worst nerve/numbness/tingling from waist to knees. So irritating! I am trying to work hard at calming down, meditation, journaling, reading books, doing the program ect but not any progress as far as feeling better. Emotionally I am feeling happier. I am not doubting this at all but wish I could have even a bit of relief from the pain. It’s discouraging. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Forum!

Two weeks is a very short time in TMS terms. Be patient, stay hopeful, and keep doing what you're doing. Many people, including me, found it very helpful to listen to Dr. Sarno read Healing Back Pain in its audio book version. I listened to it over and over. Also, read Success Stories (on our sub-forum here) and listen to podcasts about TMS which often include success stories.

If possible, it can be helpful to work with a TMS coach or therapist.

You've come to the right place. Full recovery is possible. Let us know how you're doing and feel free to ask questions or for support anytime.

brunutte18 and hawaii_five0 like this.
  3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

We never measure progress based on symptoms. We measure it on how little we fear the symptoms and how little they affect us. If you are feeling happier emotionally that is the definition of success! It means you are going in the right direction! There is a lag time between the work you are doing now and your future reality. Never, never, never, use symptoms as your guideline for progress or as a measuring stick. They are wholly irrelevant and mean nothing. When you really get this concept deep in your soul, is when the magic happens without you having to do anything. The symptoms will then cease to have a purpose and they will dissipate on their own. This is how the process works.

4. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Welcome brunutte18!

Very wise advice above from Ellen and miffybunny. It takes time to recover from TMS and the length is different for everyone. But it's often quite scary and unsettling while your experiencing symptoms. Miffybunny nailed it with "We measure it (success) on how little we fear the symptoms and how little they affect us". Interestingly, when the fear subsides, so do the symptoms.

I recently recovered from a type of CFS and many of my symptoms were similar to those you described. I used Alan Gordon's - Pain Recovery Program | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome) (tmswiki.org) and it worked beautifully. Of course, it took some time. As I've said in other threads, I really jumped in with both feet. I basically re-wrote his whole program in a my own words... a couple of times. I wanted it to sink in.

There is more than one path recovery and different folks need different things. Alan's program wasn't around when I recovered from various pain issues back in the early 200os. So I relied primarily on Dr. Sarno's books. That also worked brilliantly.

Best of luck to you!

brunutte18 likes this.
  5. brunutte18

brunutte18 New Member

6. brunutte18

brunutte18 New Member

Thank you! I’ll try the audio book that’s a good idea! I listen to Podcasts sometimes but I will try that. I have been looking for a TMS counselor but so far everyone is a little out of my budget. I appreciate you responding I needed to hear some reassurance

Ellen likes this.
  7. brunutte18

brunutte18 New Member

great advice! I have been measuring by my symptoms and didn’t even think of it that way!

miffybunny likes this.
  8. brunutte18

brunutte18 New Member

I’m going to look up Alan Gordon thank you for that! It’s encouraging to hear you recovered from similar symptoms! Mine are so weird I feel like I’m the only one in the world who has had them!

Cap'n Spanky likes this.