1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New here — TMS and Lyme

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ReturnofHope, Oct 24, 2018.

1. ReturnofHope

ReturnofHope Newcomer

D72F5C06-89BC-4979-B116-352DAD0761EB.jpeg

Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum, but not new to TMS. I was diagnosed about 20 years ago and recovered. I did rather well for about 10 years, and then life imploded when the recession hit and we lost our sole source of income and all our savings.

Under the extreme stress on multiple fronts my husband and I both reverted to old not very self compassionate ways while pushing to survive, unfortunately. So many faults had similar experiences during that time!

It was kind of like a game of snakes and ladders, if anyone remembers that game. Basically, we stepped on a big snake and went back to square one.

Things are gradually improving in major ways, but, just as it is for most folks, it’s been a long road.

I’m not exactly sure whether the TMS resurged first or the Lyme disease came out of dormancy, but I’ve been dealing with both for a while now.

I am now at a point where my practitioners and I agree that what’s remaining is likely TMS rather than due to Lyme disease.

I am in the minority of people who believe Lyme disease can be cured. I also believe, albeit sometimes shakily, that my pain can be cured.

Other than that, I have one husband, three dogs, one cat, and about a dozen free range chickens whose antics make me smile.

So that’s me. I’m looking forward to getting to know you well and sharing support along this journey.

2. ReturnofHope

ReturnofHope Newcomer

Oops. That was FOLKS not faults. Automistake strikes again.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi ReturnofHope,

I want to encourage your work using a TMS approach re "Lyme Disease." My understanding is that lingering effects of Lyme Disease after it is treated is indeed TMS. You are putting together the pieces which "rule in" TMS regarding your stresses and life. Many people suffer TMS symptoms long after Lyme Disease, which they mistake for "Post Lyme Syndrome" or such names. You are one of the few who is moving away from this trap. Congrats!!

We have free programs at the Wiki, and I would recommend you become, gently, a student of your experience as it relates to Dr. Sarno's work. I strongly believe you are in the right place.

Andy B

MWsunin12 and HattieNC like this.
  4. ReturnofHope

ReturnofHope Newcomer

Hi, Andy!

I agree. The pieces of all I have been learning as a student of suffering are coming together in wonderful ways. I am very grateful.

I have noticed that so very many of the people suffering with Lyme and its after effects are of the personality profile that often suffers TMS. Sadly, many get so attached to the Lyme label that they block their own healing in multiple ways.

Most spend much energy bemoaning the medical community’s inability to provide them with answers or a one size fits all pill.

Like TMS, Lyme doesn’t work like that. Each person is different and must find his or her own unique path to healing.

Also, Lyme can lay dormant for years, even a lifetime. It often gets activated by extreme stress. So much overlap with the emotional origin components!

I went a completely holistic route as the Lyme situation had gone undiagnosed for about twenty five years. That’s very common, sadly.

It was my acupuncturist who first correctly diagnosed me. Traditional Chinese Medicine really helped as it treats the whole person not merely symptoms. And boy were my emotions on the critical list!!

The pain is really the only symptom I have left, and both my practitioner and I are convinced of its emotional origin.

I am thankful for your encouragement.

5. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

Not sure if you’ll read this~ but i’d be interested to know how you’re doing nowadays with post-lyme?