1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New here, and recovering from pain + question

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Anna1, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

Hello everyone!

I'm so excited! Five weeks ago I discovered Sarno's books. Since 4 weeks I'm basically painfree. I started working out again, which I missed SO MUCH. So I'm very very happy. After 8 years of pain and being less and less and less active, and having lots of treatments I was having less pain, but totally afraid of moving.

I had pain in my ankles, knees, hips, buttocks, lower back, upper back, they would call it fibromyalgia.

So, that's my story in short.

Now I have started running since last week. It gives me quite some pain. The first time not too much, the second time a bit more, the third time (today) quite bad: in my hips.

Who else has this experience, any advice? I keep repeating the 12 principles and focus emotionally again an again. I must say, after last time the pain diminished within about two days. It was almost gone before I started running again today. Today was worse though.

Do you guys advice me to keep on running? I use a very mild schedule to build it up, as I havent run for 15 years, when my knee pain started...

igloo likes this.
  2. igloo

igloo New Member

Amazing! Great to hear your story. I started reading Steve Ozanich's 'The Great Pain Deception' 4-5 weeks ago and am 80-90% pain-free after 4 years... Feels good, huh? :)

My symptoms were in my legs and I have recently started walking and swimming (things I could not previously do). Initially, I was in pain for several days afterwards, mostly in parts of my body that don't usually hurt! I also felt strange pains in my shin and foot whilst walking. It can be hard to tell the difference between temporary post-exercise pain and the familiar 'useless' chronic pain - but I am fairly sure that my post-exercise symptoms were due to the fact that my body is simply so unfit! I remember in my pre-chronic pain days how I used to ache for days after going to the gym or running for the first time in several months. It's normal and will fade as you regain your physical fitness.

I think it's important to resume 'normal' physical activity, but just pace yourself with resuming strenuous exercises like working out or running - just like anyone should. Easier said than done I know, as I am someone who gets bored easily and likes to push myself :)

Good luck!

Anna1 likes this.
  3. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

Thanks Igloo! Thanks for your advice. I'm definitely not very good at pacing myself ;-) But I think I'm doing reasonable, I started a runner's schedule that is very mild. I must say that I spend 40 minutes on the crosstrainer before I step on the tread mill ;-) But the crosstrainer is not giving me any pain at all. I was doing 3 weeks of 1 hour crosstraining 3 times a week first, then started the running. So it's just the running. And it's hard to say if it's normal ache after a good work out or due to TMS. I do feel it in my joints/tendons like I felt it before with TMS. I probably have to be a bit more patient...

igloo likes this.
  4. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

oh, and I will order that book right away!!

5. stranger

stranger New Member

Hi Ruth!

What a nice story you've shared with us! Thanks for it.

I think that you should definitely run, and do whatever you used to do, but keep in mind, that your subconscious wont be to pleased with it. Dr.Sarno actually stated, that you should not overload/overwhelm yourself with going bananas after being out the running business for so long - instead of running a marathon the first day, take a mile or two, and then slowly increase the distance!

:)

veronica73 and Anna1 like this.