1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

NEW TECHNIQUES FOR SLEEPING BETTER

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Jan 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I am not one who thinks Dr. Oz has the answers to all our problems, but thought I would share with everyone what he focused on yesterday on his TV program. He interveiwed Carol Ash, a sleep therapist,
    who had some suggestions for those who have trouble going to sleep or waking up and can't get back to sleep. She suggested these techniques:

1. Deep breathing (it works for me)

2. Record your problem thoughts and play the tape before bedtime or while in bed, then stop the tape
    and let your mind "sleep on it." Sometimes, says Ash, our mind comes up with the solutions, but at least this technique helps keep us from over-thinking. (I like a Youtube video: "Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over-Thinking." Michael Sealey's voice puts me to sleep.

3. If you can't get to sleep, get out of bed and read an instruction manual or some book that is very boring.
    Then go back to bed and you may fall asleep.

4. Put your pillow where your feet are. Changing your sleeping position can help put you to sleep.

I also like counting backwards from 100 to 1 while deep breathing.

Be comfortable in bed. If you feet are cold, wear socks. I your head is cold, wear a soft ski cap.
    If your cover is too warm, get a lighter one. If it isn't warm enough, add another blanket.

Hope these techniques are helpful. Pleasant dreams!

Want to share your sleep techniques? Please do!

Boston Redsox and Misha like this.
  2. James59

James59 Well known member

I'd like to add a suggestion that has worked for me. I didn't have trouble sleeping so much as trouble getting comfortable when I got into bed. My mind was so focused on every little pain, every point of discomfort on the mattress (mostly due to muscle tension), etc, that I couldn't just relax.

I don't remember how I hit upon this idea, but a few months ago it came to me to play back in my head some favorite pieces of classical music. Things I know well enough that I don't have to play them through a sound system to hear them. I can play them in my head as accurately as if I was hearing them through my ears. I've used gentle but interesting music like the Blue Danube Waltz, Beethoven's 6th Symphony, and The Nutcracker.

Since I started doing this, focusing on the music in my head and ignoring the signals from my body I find I relax much faster and I'm much less fussy about where my body parts are in relation to the mattress, and I can get to sleep much faster.

Hen, Simplicity and Ellen like this.