1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

OCD

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by subtlecollision2, Aug 1, 2021.

1. subtlecollision2

subtlecollision2 Peer Supporter

Any advice on how to overcome OCD? I thought my symptoms had nearly disappeared for a bit but then I had a miscarriage and a lot of my OCD triggers came back and new ones popped up as well. I have not had luck dealing with them. Not to mention it's hard to get in with my therapist very often. I assume OCD is TMS because it is the ultimate distraction. But I haven't found success treating it with Sarno's methods.

I have cured myself of many psychosomatic ailments but I am thinking I won't be fully physically cured until I can cure my OCD.

I try to practice somatic tracking during my OCD, since I feel a lot of fear and guilt in my chest. But sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't do the tracking because it almost seems to prolong the feeling rather than dissolve it. Like maybe I am paying to much attention to the OCD/the distraction when I should try harder to ignore it.

Any advice? I am thinking of doing self hypnosis for it. Anyone who was OCD knows it's absolutely miserable :(

Thanks.

2. platypodes

platypodes New Member

Interestingly, my OCD got much better once my physical pain began, so I do think you’re right in believing that it’s a type of/related to TMS. If you use IG, one good resource that I’d recommend looking at is the obsessivelyeverafter account.

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/what-i-would-change.24382/page-2#post-127259 (Day 20 - What I would change)

I explained it there so I won't post a redundant story.
    It's the worst thing I have ever experienced . But, as I have said before TMS is just a physical manifestation of OCD with a little old fashioned pavlovian conditioning thrown in. That would also explain your lack of episodes during pain... it just moved.

..and , STOP therapy is sort of like Sarno's work...at least the party about distracting yourself with a source of recurrent irritation.

4. subtlecollision2

Thanks. So it was the STOP therapy that played the biggest role in reducing your OCD?

5. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

It definitely stopped the episodes.

In between episodes, just a growing awareness that I wasn't crazy, a lot of other people have the same problem, and that I could knock out the symptoms helped my mind slow down and get a 'contrast', so when new stuff appeared, I recognized it for what it was and could quickly STOP it.It was hard at first, but I stuck with it. It has gotten easier and easier the longer I have done it. In fact it got to where I could abort an attack after the first 'record skip'

I haven't had symptoms for a long time....and TMS is definitely an equivalent. I have used it when a peculiar pain that has no reason being there tries to get my attention....ZAP. Gone.

Sita likes this.
  6. subtlecollision2

okay thanks!