1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Our American Culture and TMS...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Steve J., Dec 19, 2014.

1. Steve J.

Steve J. Well known member

Hi all,

For those of you living in the U.S., does anybody else have a sense of being a sort of "outsider" when it comes to living here? I grew up with an immigrant father, and so was raised a bit differently than most of my friends. I think because of this, I very much have more of a "European" mindset when it comes to life -- one that doesn't champion the grueling Protestan work ethic. I'm not a careerist, and I couldn't be further from being a worker bee type of person. I know that a lot of folks who are perfectionistic are very career-driven, and Dr. Sarno presents several case studies in his books embodying this personality type, but I wonder who here might be more like me?

Growing up in a relatively affluent suburb, attending private schools, working at a country club, etc. exposed me to a culture obsessed with materialism and worldly wealth. I think that in the process of growing up in those environments I lost track of my identity (or else it was never genuinely formed) and so my spirituality and my sense of worth were invested in ideas of being materially wealthy rather than being at peace with myself, which is true wealth.

Anyway, curious to know which of you TMSers out there might resonate with this.

Steve

mike2014 likes this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Steve, I don't live in the U.S, but that is definitely a good question. :)

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Mike you posted some really helpful stuff today.

Just from reading and watching tv about the rest of the world, I kinda think everyone
    around the globe has a lot of the pressures and stress we have. I'm working on it all myself
    each day and some days are harder to handle than others. It helps a lot to practice
    deep breathing and live in the present, even when the present may not be as restful and pleasant
    as I'd like.

I may be living in an affluent world, and my little ranch house is on a block with mansions,
    but with a lot less income than they, I tell my darling dog Annie: "We are rich. We just don't
    have much money." I'm rich in the important ways: family, friends, doing work I love (writing books).

This week before Christmas will not be easy for most of us, as we have so much to do.
    When I worked, I often took the week off as a vacation week before Christmas, and it helped.
    But as a freelance writer, I can't take any days off. So I work meditation and those other
    TMS techniques into my days.