1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nicole Sachs, LCSW Overdue Review of the summer's Podcast episodes from Nicole Sachs!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Aug 26, 2024.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Dear community, I can't believe that the last time I created a thread to promote my favorite TMS guru was on June 3rd! I know I've mentioned some of these episodes on other threads since then, but here they are together, because honestly, I've come across a lot of posts recently that could be addressed by Nicole.
    Also, just in case you're interested, my April interview with Nicole finally dropped back on June 7 - I knew it had been rescheduled, so it was a fun surprise to see it when I opened my podcast app that morning. So there's that :cool:

Nicole's main podcast page is now at https://www.yourbreakawake.com/podcasts/the-cure-for-chronic-pain-with-nicole-sachs-lcsw-2 (The Cure for Chronic Pain with Nicole Sachs, LCSW) and of course it's available on all of the podcast platforms including Amazon (and if you use Apple, you can rate and review it).

Working backwards, I just heard Friday's episode (S3 E102 August 23, 2024) (43m) titled "RELAPSE and Freedom on the Other Side with Barb" which I feel is an absolute MUST LISTEN (I know, I know - they really ALL are, imho) for anyone who is having a relapse with old or new symptoms, for those who can't understand why you are in distress again after your previous success and having "done everything"; those who find yourself obsessing and ruminating and maybe unable to journal, or really for anyone beating yourself up for not journaling enough - whatever! This episode is for you, with someone who is a long-time Nicole success story from the early years, who was first interviewed by Nicole in August 2019, now back five years later to talk about relapses and this continuing journey.

The three episodes prior: 8/1, 8/8, 8/16, starting with S3 E100 on August 1, 2024 (~30m ea) are devoted to the genesis and meaning of often-heard "Nicole-isms". These include her phrases like "life is a choice between what hurts and what hurts worse", "practicing kindness and patience for yourself", or "wearing it loosely". Of course, each episode is not just a dry recitation of how they came to be - Nicole explains in depth their meaning for our TMS understanding and practice.

S3 E99 July 25, 2024 (30m) is a short but powerful episode titled "Mindset and the Neuroscience of Transforming Chronic Pain" which is a revisit from 2023 where Nicole describes how she dealt with a "sudden bout of severe wrist pain that came out of nowhere". Y'all want a How To? Here it is!

S3 E98 July 19, 2024 (1+hr) is a very cool interview with Jonah Primo, host of the "Work in Progress" podcast, which is associated with the Waking Up app founded by well-known neuroscientist Sam Harris. Jonah discusses his own story of "Anxiety, Vertigo, Migraine, and Long Covid" with Nicole.

S3 E97 July 11, 2024 (35m) for those familiar with the old website (thecureforchronicpain.com) Nicole and Lisa introduce the new website, https://www.yourbreakawake.com (BreakAwake). This episode may be old news by now, and the special offers and discounts have probably expired. I am happy that the new site is much easier to use, especially the dedicated menu tab for all of the podcasts (although I haven't figured out a quick way to navigate to the important S1 E1 which is MANY episodes ago, and the search function did not help when I tried it). Journalspeak also has its own tab now, where you can access the free tutorial (scroll down).

note: the numbering of the episodes is a little odd between mid-May and mid-July. I think there was some last-minute shuffling of air dates after episodes had been recorded and named. I know that #90 was scheduled and then pre-empted by other content.

S3 E95 July 5, 2024 (1 hr) is another of Nicole's regular "Member Q&A" sessions. There's always something for everyone in these recordings and I look forward to these. You can also get a sense of what it's like to be in her membership group ($99/month; first month free; no minimum obligation). Another recent Member Q&A episode is S3 E92 on June 14, 2024.

S3 E94 on June 28 (33m) was really moving - the title covers it all: "Insommnia, Numbness, and Waiting for Things to Change". The guest is someone currently struggling despite years of TMS knowledge.

I recommended S3 E96, June 21, 2024 (1 hr) to someone on the forum who found it really helpful and on point. "Overcoming Hip Pain and Severe IBS with TMS Therapist Sean Hershey" is an interview with a young gymnast who at one point was almost completely disabled by symptoms.

And as I'm looking at the top page of recent episodes in reverse chron order, the last one on the bottom is S3 E90, June 7, 2024 (50m) "Healing Into Our 70s and Beyond - Rheumatoid Arthritis and Migraines with Jan". Which will definitely be bumped on Friday to the next page, because I don't even know if Nicole has ever missed posting a new episode every week since she started her podcast in November 2018. That's a lot of episodes, and a goldmine of therapeutic material.

Whew!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
    Ellen likes this.