1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain when sleeping - both sides?!?!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jules, May 1, 2017.

1. Jules

Jules Well known member

So during the day, my shoulder and arm pain is much better. I'm able to wash dishes, do laundry, go shopping, exercise, whatever I basically want; it's at night, when I'm laying down on the affected side, is when it starts to hurt a lot more, and then I have to flip over to take pressure off, but then that side starts to hurt, and then I'm flipping over again. I'm doing this all night long, therefore I'm hardly getting the sleep I need. Last night was so bad, I was crying and had to get up and take some Tylenol just so that I could take some of the pain away and go back to sleep. I tried telling my pain to go away, do my affirmations that it is TMS and there's nothing to fear, I've done breathing exercises and visualization. But, this nighttime pain is not letting up and it makes the pain worse, which fuels the anxiety, and so forth.

I just want to be able to sleep at night without this damn pain, and can't figure out what's going on. I know it's TMS, and I've been working on this for the last eight months now, this being my third time around. I'm doing much better than I was the first couple of times around, but because I'm so tired at night and sub-c takes over, I don't have much control and it's very frustrating.

Any advice? I seriously hate going to bed at night.

jart_jart likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jules. I had a problem falling asleep and was awake for much of the night. I found several things helped me to fall asleep... a hot cup of milk, telling myself to put off worrying about anything until the morning, and deep breathing: Inhale through the nose to the count of 4, hold the breath for 7, exhale through the mouth to the count of 10, and repeat four times. Then just breathe slowly through the mouth. If I'm not asleep yet, I count slowly backwards from 100 to 1. I may have to do that twice, but generally I am asleep before I finish.

Be sure not to watch any television or be on the computer at least an hour before bedtime. Try to read something that will make you drowsy, listen to restful music. If you can, take a walk at night before bedtime and breath deeply while walking.

Don't let your Inner Bully make you hate going to bed at night. Tell yourself you look forward to it, and you will be sleeping fine.

3. Jules

Jules Well known member

The problem isn't getting to sleep, the issue is the pain that wakes me up at night. I do everything you have mentioned and then some, it's literally falling asleep on the affected side and it hurting that's my issue.

I go to sleep at the same time every night and wake up in the morning about the same time, so I have a good habit of that down, it's just seriously the pain that wakes me up.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you tried taking a Tylenol or Advil before getting into bed? And another if the pain wakes you?

Friends with pain are finding relief by, before going to bed, putting a dose of CBD hemp oil under their tongue. It's the form of marijuana that does give a high. Many consider it to be a miracle for their pain relief. Look it up online. Dr. Sarno says it's okay to take a pain killer, so why not CBD oil? It's legal in all states now. Friends recommend the Bluebird brand, but there are many others. The most common dose is from a 1 ounce, 30 ml container.

5. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

It sounds like you have the daytime "distraction from TMS symptoms" going strongly, which is good. But, I know, for myself, my emotions, especially fear, kicks up at night when I don't have the daytime distractions. I found that if I would get up and write down every fear and whatever was coming up…even though I'd forego sleep….it would help me to sleep more soundly, even the 4 hours I would get. The pain would go down, too. Good luck.

6. Jules

Jules Well known member

I really don't want to be high though and I can't, not with a new job starting soon hopefully. Maybe I'll just take ibuprofen before I go to bed each night. I'm just frustrated with this whole thing and just want it to be over and it's just taking a very long time. Thanks for your suggestion.

7. Greatway

Greatway Newcomer

I was a call center agent for 2 years and a half. I worked in a graveyard shift so that's why i am awake at night and sleep the whole day. And suddenly i quit my job because of my personal problem. And now i am having a hard time to sleep at night because i get used to being awake at night. So this is my problem now i want to sleep in a normal way but it didn't happen, so i told my friend about this then he told me to try this CBD thing as a medicine i did not believe him at first but i try it and it works for me and now I am sleeping at night at peace. Here is an article that i read about it https://www.greenmed.io/blog/chicagos-synthetic-weed-makes-bleed-reminds-us-stick-real-thing/ (Chicago's Synthetic Weed that Makes You Bleed Reminds us to Stick to the Real Thing - GreenMed) you should read it.

8. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi greatway,

I use cbd oil too : it helps me too i seems. note : it says above it gives a ‘high ‘ but the basic cbd oil is NOT giving a ‘high feeling ‘ this can only be the case when you have cbd that contains THC in it.
    The over the counter stuff is legal and does not contain that . I use cbd 10 % oil, without the thc. So no high ‘

9. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

Jules, have you tried a new mattress? When my pain was at it's worst, my husband had to move my pillow top mattress directly onto the floor. I couldn't roll over on either side, nor could I get straight up out of bed without excruciating pain. So, I had to basically crawl out onto the floor. It was a pitiful sight! As I began to heal, the pillow top still felt hard and unforgiving (by this time it was also 14 years old) so I invested in a 13 inch memory foam mattress. The best way I can describe it, is that it cuddles me during the night. Even though I'm GREATLY improved, and thankfully my mattress is back up on box springs where it belongs, I still occasionally awaken from pain. But, the memory foam feels so soft and comforting that I usually fall back to sleep. I was so delighted that I bought all new bedding and threw the old bedding away. It reminded me of my painful days. My new bedding is soft and feels luxurious (even though it was actually quite cheap from Ross) and sets the tone for tranquility in the bedroom.

10. karinabrown

[QUOTE="HattieNC, post: 99488, member: 5183It reminded me of my painful days. My new bedding is soft and feels luxurious (even though it was actually quite cheap from Ross) and sets the tone for tranquility in the bedroom.[/QUOTE]

Totally off topic but something that really caught my attention:
    I have a piece of clothing that i wore the day i got an mri and was in huge pain ; years ago : i never touched it again , even seeing it bring back nasty memories .. it just sits there in my closset . Maybe time to let go of it
    Also a mat i used for crazy useless exersizes for my back at that time : it sti ll lays around reminding me

11. Rosebud

Rosebud Peer Supporter

Burn it! Well, maybe not the mat.

HattieNC and karinabrown like this.
  12. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

Karinabrown, it was hard to throw away my bedding because it was expensive and I initially loved it, but every time I looked at it, it made me sad and reminded me of all the nights I had suffered while lying in my bed. Once I finally made up my mind to get rid of it, I took the opportunity to redecorate my bedroom and adjoining bath. It was fun picking out all the accessories and lifted my spirits. YES! I would definitely throw that piece of clothing away and anything else that brings back painful memories.

karinabrown likes this.
  13. karinabrown

Hattie,

I will !
    But i am sensitive person with memory like an elephant. Cannot get rid of all the items .. would be too expensive
    For instance : our car ..