1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pandemic Panic? Read this article

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Mar 8, 2020.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Great NPR article (listen or read) to help calm your coronavirus nerves - at least if you are in an area of the world not in lock down. And there's a bonus link to a piece with Tara Brach.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/03/811656226/pandemic-panic-these-5-tips-can-help-you-regain-your-calm (Pandemic Panic? These 5 Tips Can Help You Regain Your Calm)

I'm not immune to this anxiety, although I am totally assuming that I won't get sick - but that's just the luck of the draw and of my personal circumstances (and I've been training myself for years to be aware of what my hands last touched and to avoid touching my face until I wash with soap and water). I am, rather, very very concerned for the economic welfare of the hourly workers and small businesses who are affected by event cancellations, venue shutdowns, people working from home, and so on. I know there have to be forum members who are affected. These are the people on the front lines of the economic effects, who are suffering the consequences right now - even if the virus is contained and we don't end up with an actual epidemic. Let's keep those people in our prayers (and support them any way we can, when we can), along with, of course, the front-line medical and health care personnel and first responders who can't stay safely at home, and I know there are forum members in that group who probably don't even have the time to be here and take care of themselves right now.

~Jan

Sofa, TrustIt, Lainey and 8 others like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for posting this Jan. I’m aware some people are getting stressed and hopefully reading stuff like this will allay fears somewhat.

I’m not worried about it, although I am mindful of my hubby and our elderly parents. Mostly I wish people would cease panic buying and stop engineering a false crisis that is beginning to overlay an actual one. There’s a shortage of toilet paper here and I cannot fathom why. I understand the surge in demand for hand sanitizers and paracetamol (which is still overkill), but loo roll?

Nowt as weird as folk.

TrustIt, Aimee88, Lily Rose and 4 others like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

I was at the pharmacy to buy brush heads for my Sonicare and needed a clerk, who I found taking inventory in the depleted paper products section. During the previous week's panic buying he said he was asking people if they were stocking the same amount of food represented by the many months' worth of toilet paper they were getting. :hilarious:

Or is it that our TP is all made in China? :eek:

TG957, Lainey, plum and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

This is so timely! I just left a neighborhood wine bar that's usually jam packed with some of my favorite locals, but was empty except for me and one other person. The bar owner said she thinks people are too afraid to come in right now because of the coronavirus. Now, I do live in a major city with millions of people and we have indeed had a few cases of the coronavirus, but that hasn't stopped me from participating in races with literally a thousand other individuals, hanging out with friends, hitting up restaurants and pubs for food and drinks, taking the train, etc. And I'm IN the actual city where this has happened - not the far away suburbs - so I know I'm bound to be around people who have been exposed to and are possibly infected with the virus. They are in my thoughts, but I'm not scared for myself.

I had a pretty nasty sinus infection a few weeks ago that required medical care and it was interesting because a family member said they were too afraid to be around me due to the possibility of the coronavirus. I didn't even have a fever! A few years ago, my OCD (diagnosed as a child and as an adult, not just throwing around the condition's name lightly) would've gotten the best of me and had me questioning my health status, but I can now shrug it off and trust my doctor. I'm fine and know that no matter what happens, I will deal with it. I truly believe this attitude has helped calm my nervous system down and overcome some crazy TMS/mind-body symptoms. I'm not perfect and I still have some OCD tendencies that are being worked on, but I've certainly come a long way. I was that kid in school who was beyond terrified to participate in science class because touching a beaker with iodine would've made me fearful of touching my eyes and going blind. I'm truly proud of myself and where I am today.

People frequently make remarks about my city and how "unsafe" it is, and I absolutely do my best to protect myself from danger, but I knew it was worth living here even when I was at my worst with OCD. I'm very fortunate to have a great job, live in an awesome neighborhood, have friends and family members who care about me, etc. I don't have to constantly worry about what others are telling me. I recognize risks and accept them, and know that I have to just live my life and do my best.

Thank you for posting this!

TrustIt, Aimee88, Lainey and 4 others like this.
  5. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

LOLOLOL

Lainey, HattieNC and JanAtheCPA like this.
  6. Marls

Marls Well known member

[QUOTE There’s a shortage of toilet paper here and I cannot fathom why.[/QUOTE]

I can answer that for you Plum........ When one person sneezes, 100 people shit themselves. Bahahaha.

Lainey, Baseball65, HattieNC and 2 others like this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

:hilarious: xxx

Baseball65 likes this.
  8. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

LOL that's crazier than the shortage of alcohol here :hilarious:

plum likes this.
  9. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

To all. .. .
    Love this thread. Made me smile.
    Lainey

TG957, JanAtheCPA and plum like this.
  10. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Baseball65
    You have moved? Hope you were not injured during the terrible tornado. Stay well.
    Lainey

11. had

had Peer Supporter

I find all this quite frustrating because it highlights how people mostly live in ego, denial and selfishly and that's the primary reason I have TMS. For many weeks I was trying to get family and friends to be sensible after reading about things. I was ignored, mocked, even had people do stupid things like stick fingers in my food and joke. They then get angry at me for being upset at this. Calling me paranoid and acting as if my worries are attacks on THEM as people. Just 3 days ago it was the same as certain politicians were saying it was "fake news" and mocking as well. I gave up. Suddenly now everyone is panicking and acting so smart about the science and what to do whilst having ignored it just days ago. I simply don't understand this mentality and it makes it so hard for everyone.

I find all the complaints about people buying toilet paper more frustrating than the shortage because its again an example of individualism and superiority needing to feel one is "better" and more "sensible" than others. I was in the shop and people were buying it, while making fun of others buying it. It's sensible to have a stock of important things for quarantine, but they act as if everyone ELSE who is doing it is just hoarding but they actually NEED it. I was at a doctors office last week not wanting to shake hands and trying to keep distance and they wouldn't respect it saying it's nothing and talking down to me about being "anxious" and now their office is in a panic and acting like they suddenly have to protect themselves. One of my biggest causes of TMS rage is how people are such egoists and selfish and as I have suffered much loss and pain in life it's been denied, ignored, and even blamed on me. Yet when THEY have a problem its a tragedy. I don't want ANYONE to suffer...but I can't help getting so upset when mine is continually denied and thrown back...and there is so much hypocrisy.

This event isn't creating anything new...just highlighting it. My TMS and anxiety are exploding and its more due to people than anything. It's everyone for themselves out there and its just spotlighted why my life has been so terrible for so long. The TMS is a problem...but its the the root cause and rather a side effect...of childhood, adulthood, people being so terrible in my life. This is not helping at all. Not to mention now being ill...coughing and sore throat etc and having no clue if I picked up a cold...this stupid virus...or its all TMS.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  12. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Nope.. missed the family and I. Got a lot of neighbors and people we do business with...our skateboard shop got leveled. This is a great city though and everybody has been pro-active about helping one another. We rebuilt after the flood and we'll rebuild again.
    Thanks!

HattieNC and JanAtheCPA like this.
  13. Marls

Marls Well known member

hi Had, did you read the “ Dare” post. It’s a wonderful example of a kind, sensible and generous person. The offer gave me a lift and the book might give me a little something as well. It might interest you, cheers marls

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  14. JanAtheCPA

15. had

had Peer Supporter

Hi and thanks for the suggestion. I don't really need more books as I have the staple ones. But more importantly I DO understand your point and as Mr Rogers said "Look for the helpers", I do that along with smelling the flowers etc (hope they aren't a viral vector :p) but this doesn't invalidate the reality that MOST people are not like that. Most people are going to walk over you when it suits or comforts them, even people you wouldn't expect. Yes the truly villainous moutstache-twirlers are not the norm either, but the masses seem to say one thing about morals, ethics, expectations from others...then don't walk that talk. My life was ruined by bad diagnoses and surgeries, then I was denied/ignored/blamed. It's happened continuously since then...and is happening right now. TMS best practices have reduced the suffering and I'd have already topped myself had I not found it, but I found it too late to really change the path of my life in a meaningful way. My initial problem was most assuredly fully TMS but I was scared into life ruining operations.You cannot get people to believe or have empathy when their own self interests depend on them not. This even just highlights that and the "everyone for themselves" mentality out there...especially in my country (USA).

Lily Rose likes this.
  16. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

My brother sent me this. If it’s too off-colour @JanAtheCPA feel free to delete it.

(edit: viewers who are offended by unflattering references to political or media personalities may want to avoid. Contains strong language. Viewer discretion is advised! ).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2020
    Amber, Gigalos, Lainey and 2 others like this.
  17. JanAtheCPA

Well, @plum, I certainly laughed out loud - but you knew I would, right :hilarious:?

Yet the message is spot-on. It IS all about "flattening the curve" - ie, the possible rate of infection - IF we don't all (that's 100% of us) take fairly simple protective measures. The measures are ones that anyone can take, and that everyone should take. Above all, we must take this seriously.

I'm letting it stand, but if anyone has serious objections, feel free to use the "Report" link!

Amber, plum and yb44 like this.
  18. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

No complaints from me. I've already shared it on another forum. Might get a rollicking over there but hey ho.

JanAtheCPA and plum like this.
  19. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Very timely discussion - thanks to Jan for posting and others for chiming in. I just logged on to check on people, send them my virtual hugs (yes, social distancing!!!) and start my highly unscientific poll, to get people's mind off the virus and back to chronic pain! :=)

Since I myself no longer have chronic pain, I would like to ask others whether they see a change in their symptoms.

Per Sarno, and confirmed by many people's experience, TMS attacks come one at a time.

My thinking is that because people are now anxious about coronavirus (me too, big time!) , would they have their symptoms:
    a) increase
    b) decrease
    c) unchanged
    d) move into a different location
    e) don't know, can't think straight because I am worried about the virus
    f) other - write your answer in!​

20. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Plum, this is my absolute, total, very best favorite of the coronavirus stories !!!!!!

JanAtheCPA and plum like this.